SLC 5/03 and PV550 connection using 1747-C20

diffy

Can someone tell me if I can use a standard ethernet patch cable to connect a SLC 5/03 processor to a PanelView 550 (2711-B5A2)? I found the pinouts on Allen-Bradley's website for a 1747-C20 cable (20ft) but I'm unsure if it is any differnet than a standard ethernet cable. Will I be able to program both the PV550 and SLC 5/03 with the same cable?

Please note that that little rectangular RJ45 is NOT ethernet , and if you connect it to an ethernet port , you will do some damage . The port is an RS485 port , and you can connect to it by using a link coupler module (someone remind me of the catalog number) , a PIC box (now old hat and a USB version available) , or via a PCMK card with the right connector . If I am not mistaken , you will notice that the PV has an odd shaped connector to prevent you doing what you are trying to do , I am sure someone can tell you the part number for the correct cable .
Again , do NOT try and use the port on the front of the 5/03 as an ethernet port .

Tutichip, It of course is not Ethernet. That was not the question. I beleive he asked if he could use a std. patch cable to communicate between the two devices. If this is the case, again use the Std. Patch cable.

kcarlen , I am well aware that it is not , but his post is far from conclusive that he knows what the port is - do you not think that it is better to warn him in this case that if he uses an ethernet cable "Will I be able to program both the PV550 and SLC 5/03 with the same cable?" to program , and one assumes from the post that he will use ethernet as he doesn't mention using a PIC or PCMK card , or acknowledge their existance .
The fact he asks about programming with the same cable leads me to believe that there may be some confusion , hence the advice , as equipment won't get damaged by too much checking etc . Perhaps you can advise how he will program the 550 and the 503 using the ethernet patch cable ? , I can't find anything that you could plug it in to , it won't fit in a PIC , it is no use for PCMK , I don't know about the new USB PIC , but I assume it comes complete with cable .
If you can use the ethernet patch cable for 550 to 503 , I assume this is the straight one , then for programming 503 , then this would be cross-over ?

I would like to try a standard ethernet patch cable in conjunction with a 1747-UIC connected to my laptop in order to program both the SLC 5/03 and the PV550. I have a 1747-C10 cable as backup. I will not be trying to connect any of these devices directly to my ethernet port on my laptop. Thanks for your help. I'll post my results.

For what it is worth , I understand that you can use a CAT5 cable with a 1747-UIC , though there were initial troubles with it .
I trust that you understand my caution ( as despite what others may feel) there have been ethernet ports and processors damaged by people not realizing that the little hole is not ethernet . Like I said , you won't do any damage by checking something a few times .
kcarlen obviously has second sight , as I can't for the life of me see you refer to 1747-UIC in you first post .
Good luck!

diffy said:
I would like to try a standard ethernet patch cable in conjunction with a 1747-UIC connected to my laptop in order to program both the SLC 5/03 and the PV550. I have a 1747-C10 cable as backup. I will not be trying to connect any of these devices directly to my ethernet port on my laptop. Thanks for your help. I'll post my results.
You should be successful - I've done the same.

Use the C10 cable (RJ45 to ??wide plug) between the 5/03 and the PanelView, use the enet cable between the PV and the UIC, and connect the UIC to your PC's USB port.

You will then have programming access to both without the need to change any connections.