Plc 5/30 To A Plc 5/40e With Problems !

KENCAT

Are There Any Issues With An Ab Plc 5/40e That Would Limit It's Performance And Cause Internal Functions Such As A Block Transfer To Sometimes Not Recycle. But Also The Backplane Is An Old Plc 2 And All Cards Except For A Qb Are Plc 2 Also.

But Also The Backplane Is An Old Plc 2 And All Cards Except For A Qb Are Plc 2 Also.

Well, not quite, there is no such thing as a PLC2 backplane nor are there PLC2 I/O modules. True enough, the PLC2 and the PLC5 both use the 1771 I/O structure including I/O rack and I/O modules. About the PLC5/40e, I have not background with that processor, but it is a tried and true soldier in the war on automated systems. Usually the problems that corp up are programmer related and not hardware. After all is said and done, the PLC processor only does what the program tells it to do, even if that is not what you really wanted.

Please take a look at this thread, http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=11595

particulary to the Ken's post:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=115958&postcount=3

If think Ken made it very clear:
The only problems I've found in migrating from Classic PLC-5 to Enhanced PLC-5 have been with some local-rack block transfer modules that cannot keep up with the higher speeds of the Enhanced CPUs.
There's a "block transfer compatibility" bit in the PLC-5/30 status file that will slow down its backplane BT's if you encounter such a problem. I seem to recall it affected things like 1771-IXE thermocouple modules and maybe the IMC120 motion controller.
Also keep in mind that 5/40E is much faster than older enhanced 5/30

Last edited:
More Info On Problems !

I Was Called To This Location For A Problem That Occurs At No Certain Time And For No Apparent Reason. With The Existing Plc 5/30 I Get Good Info From All Areas Until For No Reason Part Of The Internal Features Such As Btr's And Btw's Hose For A Few Seconds. When This Happens It May Last 1 Minute Or The Rest Of The Shift. I Have Caught This In Error And Saved But When I Go Through It, There Is No Reason For The Occurance. As Far As The Chassis Is Concerned I Had Never Seen One Made Like This And My Local Ab Rep Called It A Plc 2 Chassis. On Another Note, This Machine Was Rebuilt On Site Years Ago And It Was Already Worn. The Guy That Initially Wrote This Code Used The Parts That Were Already Installed With The Exception Of The Processor. The Owner Said This Machine Run Well For About 2 Years And Then For The Last 5 Years Is Now It Does It A Little More Frequently. I Have Went Top To Bottom And Personally Checked Every Point That Is There. After Finding Some Things That Act Like They Are Freezing Up, I Decided A Processor Was A Good Option Because We Are Currently In The Middle Of Several Upgrades In This Mill. When I Installed The Other Processor It Will Do This Almost All The Time Almost Like That Extra Current For The New Processor Puts It Over The Limit. Thanks For The Reply's

Please try to be more specific about the symptoms you are observing, and also understand that this Forum is not a technical support line for Allen-Bradley. You have an old control system that is experiencing problems, and you're not going to find stock answers for precisely why. There's no "get old and malfunction" routine in PLC-5 firmware.

Also, please consider some changes to your posting style. Normal punctuation and formatting are cherished by those of us who spend a lot of time here on the Forum.

Get a box of q-tips, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and a couple of cans of compressed air and go to town cleaning up the contacts on that chassis, inside and out.

Then see if you can do some more trapping of the block transfer failures. You might capture an error code other than "hosed", which would lead you to repair strategies.

Meanwhile, you could post, say, the I/O roster and power supply model for this chassis.

Ken Roach said:
Also, please consider some changes to your posting style.
Based on THIS thread, I think he went to the same school as Travis (AGENTTINFOIL), er, I mean, I Think He Went To The Same School As Travis... ;)

Gawd, it's actually HARD to type like that... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric <--- capitalized on purpose