1000+ hp motors

Rick Densing

The latest issue of motion system design makes the claim that "33% of electrical energy in the U.S. [is] being used to power 1000 hp motors and larger."

First- does this seem true to you?

Second- what applications are there for 1000+hp motors?

The only one I can think of is large pumps in the fresh and wastewater industries. I would like to know others. In my field the largest motor I have ever used is 75hp.

Rock quarries have crusher motors in the 2000 hp range

the steel industry
shipyards

rubber mixers for the tire industry

those are a few I've seen

The 33% seems a bit high, but what do I know.

We see quite a few motors greater than 1,000 hp on the aeration blower systems we control. I'm working on one right now that has five blowers, each with 1,750 hp medium voltage motors. (Well, not RIGHT now because I'm goofing off here, but you know what I mean.)

I'd be more inclined to believe 33% is being used to recharge cell phone batteries o_O .

We used to have at work a whirl tower to spin helicopter blades that had a 1000hp motor. It had a pony motor of several hundred hp to get it up to speed before connecting to the mains.

A pulp mill I once worked in had a 2500hp AC motor for operating the chipper. That thing would take 15" dia. logs and just make em disappear. Also, a fair number of motors in the plastic extrusion industry are 500hp or larger. Used to work at a polypropylene plant that had 600hp DC motors driving 10"(barrel inside dia.) extruders.

It's the commutative property of multiplication at work.

While this isn't exactly true because of efficiency issues, for every 2,000 HP motor you see out there you need to see 1,000 2HP motors to equal the energy usage. So, while I have only see one or two motors as big as 2,000 HP I have yet to see my 1,000th 2HP motor.

Keith

I read, or saw somewhere that only 15% of the energy created gets to the home appliance due to resistance losses in the grid.

Rod (get's scared at motors over 250 - engines are okay though)

While I have seen scads of 1000hp on mining trucks and locomotives, I don't think I have ever sen anything in actual industry that large.

I have been in motor shops where thet have been rebuilding large motors.

Ihave seen a few 300's and 500's in use. The tire plant I was at did not have anything remotely close to 1000hp, and they made large farm tires. I don't think the nearby steel plant has anything over 500.

I know they are out there. Just not real common around here, gie or take 60 miles.

As far as 1000 2hp motors, I've easily seen that in the last 35 years. But I get into a lot of factories, mills, and ppower plants.

regards.....casey

I have done a bunch of 2300 and 4160 volt 1000 HP to 5000 hp VFD's. I worked at the OEM and tested them before they left the plant.

They went to places like HUGH generating stations. There they ran boiler feed water pumps, and the FANS that controlled the temperatures.

Several of these drives had the ability to start as many as 4 motors and place them across the line and run any 1 of them variable speed. The controls were able to pick a motor off the line and decel it down too.

I have seen them used on compressor stations where the gas is compressed and sent hundreds of miles from the field to the refinery.

One drive went to up state NY for use in snow making machines at a ski resort. It was a start 4 motor and run 1 drive.

My present company is delivering 1200 to 1600 HP VFD's to the drilling industry weekly. They are used on the pumps and hoisting equipment.

(7) The highest lift in the system pushes water over the Tehachapi’s at the A.D. Edmonston Pumping Plant near Bakersfield. Capable of moving 2 billion gallons of water a day, Edmonston uses fourteen, 80,000 horsepower pumping units, each more than 3 stories high, to lift the water 2,000 vertical feet.

WOWWWW! I went on a tour, they had 48" discharge valves on each pump. They had there own generator to start them, then switch to commerical power. Didn't want to pull down the grid on startup.

NEAT cartoon

Rick Densing

I really need to get my hands on the Dilbert cartoon (I call on powers of certification).

Where did you get it? How do I Find it? Gonna try Google in a minute. Can you e mail it to me if I fail?

Thanks
Dan bentler

leitmotif said:
I really need to get my hands on the Dilbert cartoon (I call on powers of certification).

Where did you get it? How do I Find it? Gonna try Google in a minute. Can you e mail it to me if I fail?
HERE'S a larger version, Dan.

🍻

-Eric

thanks Eric. That is going to work.
REASON Seems like wherever you go when you pick up a tool somebody comes by and asks "are you certified to do that? or worse yet "you cant do that you arent certified.

Dan Bentler