OT: Searching for a level transmitter

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to find some level transmitter. They are pressure transmitter in the shape of a small tube (3/4" x 3") at the end of a cable. You just drop them to the bottom of a liquid tank and it transmit the head above it.

My problem is not to find them but to find one that is all made of Teflon.

Any leads?

Your request for "all teflon" infers a very nasty environment for the typical stainless steel bodies or wetted parts that are used on submersible transmitters.

That sort of issue is often addressed by the use of non-contact level sensors - either radar or ultrasonic. These devices mount up high, above the liquid level and do not contact the liquid.

You might consider trying Siemens/Milltronics for either.

https://pia.khe.siemens.com/index.asp?Nr=4920

In my experience measuring level with a pressure transmitter is more economical and more reliable than ultrasonics. There are a lot of things that cause ultrasonics to get goofy, such as false echoes, foam, interference from tank walls, and wind.

Tom,

Yes, ultrasonic has limitations. But a submersible pressure transmitter failing due to nasty environment is a limitation, too.

If a 316 SS body/diaphragm of an Ametek/Wika/Siemens/Blue Ribbon/whateverBrand commercial submersible transmitter isn't suitable, as a request for all teflon infers, then that's when non-contact technologies make sense.

Pierre's problem was not finding a submersible transmitter, it was finding one "all made of Teflon".

Dan

danw said:
"all made of Teflon"

I took some liberties with this and assumed the Teflon was associated with the diaphragm only. It is common in corrosive environments to have a level transmitter with a stainless body and a Teflon diaphragm. Standard construction is stainless body and Buna-N or EPDM diaphragm.