Searching for placeholders in FactoryTalk View SE

B_MAC7

Hi,
Using FactoryTalk View SE version 9.0.
Wondering if someone can help me as to whether or not I can search an entire display for instances of a placeholder tag? I have pages where placeholders are used repeatedly but want to be able to quickly find a specific placeholder, without having to search every tag individually.

Thanks

CTRL + E for Cross Reference

In Find What type what you want to search for. It will search the entire application and show you the results broken down by component type and name. Double-click on a result to open that item.

OG

CTRL + E for Cross Reference

In Find What type what you want to search for. It will search the entire application and show you the results broken down by component type and name. Double-click on a result to open that item.

OG
Thanks - that got the result I was after. Annoying when it searches an entire project, I was hoping to just scan a specific display each time but at least it breaks down to groups of component type and name.

As an alternative, the Object Explorer can work here too. And it is specific to that one open/active display.

If it isn't already open, right-click on a blank part of your display and select Object Explorer. For my default view, this window is open along the right hand side of my display window. But it is a little too narrow by default, so I need to stretch it a little wider so that the "Settings" button is visible.

Click the Settings button and then click "By Tag Name". In the tag dropdown it will show you all tags and commands used on that display. Select your tag/placeholder and click OK. In the Object Explorer Window select "Highlighting on" and any object that uses that tag/placeholder will appear in red. You can right-click on that object and open its Properties or view the Animation settings.

The limitation with that tool is that you cannot type in a tag name (or a partial tag name). You must select it from the dropdown list. So if you had "Tank1\#1" and "Tank2\#1" it would not let you type in #1 and see both results. So if your placeholder is replacing the entire tag name, then this is fine. But if you are using a placeholder to replace part of the tag name (like in my example, then this really won't work. With Cross reference you can type in a partial tag name.

In addition to Cross Reference there is also Find. The results end up being pretty much the same. In both you can limit searches to Displays, but neither allows you to limit to a single display or choose displays. They always search all displays. But like you said, at least the results are grouped by display, so it still very usable.

OG