using PLC..

diana_84

I had found my project topic. I want to use PLC to control lamp, sensor and alarm to ensure security of my data's room. So what kind of PLC that i can apply for the system.

thank you for any suggestion..

That's really going to depend on you...

1. What type of experience do you already have?
2. What equipment/software do you already have available(or have access to)?
3. What is your available budget?
4. Basic/bare bones system, or whistles and bells system(hmi panel to control alarm system, or simple on/off switch)

I'm sure some other people can contribute some more questions to help narrow down what type of plc you can use for this....

I realize everyone has to start out somewhere, but you might want to think of a project that's a bit more challenging... :nodi:

A 'burglar alarm' is what, maybe 2 rungs of logic? OK, you might need 3 if you add all the bells and whistles... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

I am struggling with some classes and attempting to work etc...is it probable that I can get away with a project that simple when the time comes?

You aren't going to need analog data for this project, so I'd suggest an AutomationDirect.com DL-05 or the Allen Bradley Micrologix 1000 starter kit. The AutomationDirect.com has the advantage of being able to add a real time clock inexpensively. Both would do anything you need, and are reasonably priced.

As far as this being a simple project, I don't see anything wrong with it. After all, my first programming was prinitng "Hello World". There is lots of room to add bells and whistles, things like time stamps data logging, passwords, and so on to this project.

Congratulations on not asking for the code! Good Luck.

I'll agree with Tom. The DL05 is a great PLC and from what I hear the Micrologix 1000 is also very good. I know tech support for the DL05 would be good even if its all via forums/email, not sure on the Micrologix.

My first PC program was also printing "Hello World"; first PLC program was turning a single output on when an input turned on. I'm a big fan of start simple and build your way up.

Good luck.

As one student to another
1. Small projects are a good thing. Learn one thing at a time and learn it well - you can only read a book one page at a time. Also you don't get overwhelmed and discouraged.
2. Allen Bradley 10 point starter is excellant unit to start on. If out of pocket only $100 or so and software is free.

Dan Bentler

AB had a mirologix 1000 (no analog) for $100 AUD with a free download of rslogix500 last month.

Must be a pretty hacked down version of RSL i would reckon at that price.