1747-pic

Steve D

Hey guys

I know this topic has been addressed ad-naseum. But I have looked at all the old post and have followed the suggestions to upgrade to 2.40.01 Rs Linx still nada.

I am running Win 98, RsLinx-Lite 2.40.1, 1747-PIC, SLC/01 (1747-L514 B)

I have loaded the AB-PIC 1 driver.... and the software does not locate the SLC CPU. The processor is in blink fault mode ( no program I think )

I thought at first the packets beening sent and recieved in diagnostics meant that the PIC was communicating to the serial port, UNTIL I pulled the serial connection and packet count continued to grow. In Windows I have set Com-1 to: 9600, 8,N,1 with no flow control. I thought that was vanillia enough to get a connect

I checked my BIOS...every thing looks good there.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Steve

The PIC can be a PITA, you must make sure that nothing else is using the com port you have assigned to the PIC. Seems you have done all the rest of the necessary checks.

The other thing is are you POSITIVE that you are using the correct cable.

I have better luck if I dont have that pesky RSLinx server running at bootup. Start from scratch and remove all drivers then install the PIC drivers. Set the com port higher, it should connect at lower rates anyway.

Are you sure it isn't the processor? I have lost comms during a fault. I had to do a hard reset of the proc. You pull the battery and move a jumper, but I don't have the info in front of me.

Can you try a different processor?

1784 KTXD

I tried this PIC and SLC on several other computers without any trouble. I am left to assume the serial ports on my Dell OptiPlex are not going to talk to the 1747-PIC.

I was looking under "known anomalies" in RS Linx 2.40.1 and read:
"RSLinx cannot use interrupts on the KT or KTX drivers when installed in a DELL Optiplex GXPro computer. The KT or KTX card defaults to no interrupts for this computer."

I am left to assume that trying to connect to a 1784 KTXD card would crash and burn as well.

Dude! Dell don't talk to AB PICs

Thanks for all the help guys

Steve

Serial port is a serial port, just because the Dell was mentioned in reference to KT cards I dont believe has any bearing.

If the pic will work on other computers and SLC's then undoubtedly there is an issue with the Dell, but I bet its some form of configuration issue either in bios or the software.

PIC use can be a PITA, thats why I got the PCMK card but as long as your serial port is built in then you should be able to setup a connection, use of adapters via usb or pcmcia can make things more difficult.

I agree Serial be Serial

Ron

I totally agree BUT I spent about 8 hr total on this and just was knocking my head against the wall. I unplug the PIC/SLC and had my laptop talking in about 2 seconds. I used another computer and had it talking in about 1 minute.

I will take your challenge Ron, I will hook up my break out box and see if I can fiqure something out. I was hoping it would not come to this however.

banghead

I have heard from AB that you cannot use a PIC on a USB to serial interface. We had problems with that issue, as well as upgrading our NetWorx version. We ended up with a PCMCIA adapter that has since worked perfectly.

I just looked at your first post again. I believe that DH485 is 19.2 by default. Set you baud rate on the actual port higher than that. I haven't used a PIC lately, but on other serial applications I just keep the windows setting at 115k. Let the comm software bring it down.