PIC Problem

exiled

Last edited:
im sure Ive had this problem before but cant remember exactly how i got round it. Try deleting the DF1 driver and then rebooting your machine then try and add the PIC driver.

Sorry I cant be anymore help but it was a while ago.

Good luck

One problem in using the PIC Module is it will not work with Windows XP. If you have an older PC with windows 98 or ME installed this will work.

I had to purchase a PCMCIA card 1784-PCMK.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Also make sure RSlinx is not running as a service. You will find this option under the start button. Regards Alan Case

just trying to keep the record straight ...

One problem in using the PIC Module is it will not work with Windows XP.

that's not 100% true swimmy ... I just tried it on my system and it works ok ... I did get a couple of "error" type warnings while setting up the driver - but when I ignored them, everything installed and worked fine ...

just for the record ...

I'm running Windows XP Pro - version 2002 - with Service Pack 1 ...

and RSLinx version 2.41 ...

connected through a "real-live-honest-to-goodness" serial port ...

through a 1747-PIC ...

to an SLC-5/02 processor ...

online ... and chugging right along ...

maybe it's Windows XP "Home" edition that won't work? ... I've never tried that one and don't have a copy available for testing ... maybe that's the source of this particular confusion? ...

I had this problem in the past. I had to install another driver (just pick any of them) and then the one you wanted. Then delete the first one. This worked for us, but usally took several try's.

Although after looking at your screen capture I agree with the others about checking RSLinks.

Last edited:
I've had fun times getting the pic driver to work on our laptops running win2000... Probably won't help you much with XP, and it wasn't even necessary to do it on a different laptop using Win2000, but this is what I eventually came up with. If nothing else, it could be worth trying out. Everything worked fine as long as I:

1. Made sure rslinx wasn't running as a service
2. Deleted any rslinx driver trying to use the serial port(but maybe just stopping it would have work
3. Shutdown and re-started computer with nothing trying to use the serial port
4. Added in pic driver(which usually failed for some reason, but not always)
5. Shutdown and re-started computer, and upon restarting this time, was usually able to get everything working fine.

I think I just repeated what everyone else has said, but this is the order I came up with to get everything working right.

These days, we use the pcmk card with the dh-485 interface cable..... much better :)

make sure u have admin rights on the puter also
if not the pic driver will not work

Just to add more mystery, mine USED to work with Windows XP (and it had for over a year). Unfortunately, a tech "borrowed" my laptop to use the PIC and by the time he got done, he told me he deleted all the drivers, reinstalled RSLinx, and played around with it and decided it was a piece of junk and never got online with it. When I started my laptop, I had to reinstall all the drivers and restart RSLinx as a service. Now eveytime I start RSLogix, I get a windows 2000 PIC failed to initialize along with a couple of other errors. I haven't figured it out yet and I might never, but the tech won't be using my laptop anymore. So much for going away for a couple of days.

Hi

I once had a problem like this and the only the other way around.
I had the PIC driver working, but when I deleted it and tried to add a DF1 driver, nothing seemed to work. Deleteing the serial port in device mangler and allowing windows to detect it again got me going again.

What version of RSLinx, and what operating system are you using ?
The screenshot looks like you have XP. It must be a relatively recent version of RSLinx for it to work with XP (dont know exactly which version), and if you are using XP with SP2 then it must be the very latest version.
I have RSLinx v2.43.00 running on my PC with XP SP2.

Hi guys
i am using xp pro/sp2 with RSLinx gateway 2.4-01. If this isnt compatible will a uic interface do the trick :)

The last time i had to edit/go online with this processor my laptop had ME installed and beleive it or not i never had any trouble :p communicating with any processors using using the pic using a a pc card (my real port was tied up with something else)