RSLinx 1747 PIC Problem

If your PC was "born" with SP2, it might still work (unless recent Windozer Updates have done their damage), but if it was "born" with Windows XP SP3, it probably won't work.

At least that was my limited experience with the help of DMRoeder.

Dustin wrote a batch file to automate the reversion to the old serenum.sys driver that works on machines that were upgraded, but didn't work on mine.

Seems it might be possible by changing some registry entries that affect the Windows Protection System.

Google WPF and serenum.sys and see what turns up.

I stopped short after reading about some risks, and didn't really require the driver, it would have been a minor convenience to save some laptop toting though, so if you figure out a safe and secure way, let us all know.

Paul

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Orly! I have my mission... Find out what registry entries will fix it in native SP3 Windowz.

Edit: if it's too risky, I'll abandon ship

Last edited:
It may be time to buy a 1747-UIC .... :eek:

I bought a laptop with a real serial port and love it but.... I still use the USB 99% of the time and keep the old serial cables as back up, I only have a few old drives that I need a real serial port

A shot in the dark but can't hurt to try. See below. Shut down RSLinx and delete the harmony files.

Uncheck autobrowse and delete the driver before doing the below. Then try to add again.

DELETE HARMONY Files;
(it may be necessary to Reboot the computer first)
- Find Files or Folders;
- Search; HARMONY*.*
(typically they will be found in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON)
- DELETE both;
HARMONY.HRC
HARMONY.RSH
(RSLinx will recreate these files automatically)

THANK YOU!!!!!

This has been driving me crazy. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been pretty common ever since I got a new laptop with Win7. I've been fixing it (sometimes) by uninstalling/reinstalling. I thought it was a version incompatibility issue, or something else wrong with my laptop.

This is the best christmass present ever!

I created a batch file:

net stop harmony /yes
del "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.rsh"
del "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.hrc"

The next time it happens, I'll just run the file and restart Logix.

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!!!

This has been driving me crazy. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been pretty common ever since I got a new laptop with Win7. I've been fixing it (sometimes) by uninstalling/reinstalling. I thought it was a version incompatibility issue, or something else wrong with my laptop.

This is the best christmass present ever!

I created a batch file:

net stop harmony /yes
del "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.rsh"
del "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.hrc"

The next time it happens, I'll just run the file and restart Logix.

You're welcome.