RSLINX and 1747-PIC COMMs

GertThePLCGuy

Ken Roach:

I recently tried connecting to a SLC 5/01 with a 1747-PIC and I could not! I always used to be able too, but my local AB rep believes it is because of recent install of Windows XP Service pack 3. I'm using RSLinx version 2.51. They wanted me to buy a 1747-UIC, but I'm not really prepared to buy this as I only need to hit this to get the program and then I'm installing a SLC 5/03 that gives me serial DF1 comms. Do you know of a work around yet. I also have a 1747-KE module that I found in my junk pile but I can't connect through that either. I can't even connect to it from hyper terminal to configure it, it must have been changed from default!

Also, thanks for your continued support!

I found a tech note on their site that says the PIC driver will not work when SP3 is installed. Just remove SP3.

I had to have a talk with our IS department about not installing it on our service tech's computers for this reason.

I wish I knew. We are in the same boat as you. We have a lot of machines in the field that rely on the pic driver. Machines that you connect to via AIC module are a problem too (which we have a lot of).

I talked to tech support the other day and it sounds like they may be done with supporting PIC because they have the UIC. I haven't seen it written in stone though.

dmroeder said:
I wish I knew. We are in the same boat as you. We have a lot of machines in the field that rely on the pic driver. Machines that you connect to via AIC module are a problem too (which we have a lot of).

I talked to tech support the other day and it sounds like they may be done with supporting PIC because they have the UIC. I haven't seen it written in stone though.

See link below
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp....2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9MTc0Ny1waWM*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Posting in an Old thread about this issue I'm having.

I recently got a new laptop, with XP Pro on it. I wanted to use it as my new programming laptop since my old one just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Turns out it comes preinstalled with SP3, and I cannot downgrade unless I find another copy of XP SP2 or less and reinstall my OS.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues outside the PIC driver with RSLinx on SP3? I never use the PIC driver, and if that's the only problem, then I might be able to get away with using SP3.

I have SP3 on my other PC's and have not had any issues with them, but I have not tried everything...

Tharon said:
Posting in an Old thread about this issue I'm having.

I recently got a new laptop, with XP Pro on it. I wanted to use it as my new programming laptop since my old one just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Turns out it comes preinstalled with SP3, and I cannot downgrade unless I find another copy of XP SP2 or less and reinstall my OS.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues outside the PIC driver with RSLinx on SP3? I never use the PIC driver, and if that's the only problem, then I might be able to get away with using SP3.

Some other threads about it (see links below)

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14950

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=1007987