slc 5/02 to ethernet

bryan81

I want to be able to connect an Allen-Bradley slc5/02 processor to an ethernet network. I found the prosoft mv146-dfnt module would accomplish this. Are there any other modules that would work, or is the mv146-dfnt the only one? Bryan81

Last edited:
I have considered changing to a 5/05 processor, however I do have rack space and the prosoft module is more cost effective than the 5/05. I am wondering if there are any other addon cards that would be better and/or most cost effective.

Bryan,

Don't overlook the cost of programming with the DFNT. I've used one before and you have to map all your data points to the registers that the DFNT will recognize, all through ladder. The cost difference between the DFNT and the 5/05 may be close to a wash when you figure this in.

HTH,
Jeff

Here's something unusual: I'm going to mention an architecture that *won't* work.

Although on paper the 1761-NET-ENI is an EtherNet/IP to DF1 bridge, and the 1747-KE is a DF1 to DH485 bridge, connecting the two together in practice does not result in a full-featured EtherNet/IP to DH485 bridge.

I connected just such a system in my office to check it out. I was able to browse in RSLinx far enough to "see" the controller in the RSWho window, but could not go online, upload, or download. Only the controller at Node 1 could be accessed.

I was able to successfully poll data from the controller using RSLinx Professional and Excel, so I know that messages can get through this link. But the messages necessary for upload/download/online monitoring will not.

If this installation is only for monitoring of the SLC controller by a PC, you could use a 1747-KE along with an off-the-shelf Ethernet/RS232 converter like a LanTronix, Digi, or Moxa converter. These emulate a Windows COM port so Windows programs can use them.

Again, if you want fast online monitoring and programming of a SLC controller, the best way to go is to get one with Ethernet built in, i.e. an SLC-5/05 controller.

Bryan,

One other little thing I forgot about the DFNT, which Ken's post reminded me of, is that you can't program your 5/02 through it, i.e. no uploads, downloads, or going online via RSLogix. It's main use is to give you access to data points over ethernet. So even with the DFNT installed, you would still need to hook up your PIC or AIC to the 5/02 to program ladder that would allow the DFNT to expose data points. Kind of ironic.

Don't get me wrong, the DFNT served me very well and is a good piece of hardware, but as Ken said, if you are planning on programming over ethernet, your best bet is the 5/05.

Jeff