Looking

Foty

I'm looking to find what is the voltage used in the EU industry,
we use 460 vac at 60 hz, I know that they use 50 hz but not sure on the voltage.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, but I will contact the custmer and ask him what he use in his plant.

I did find that site, but it shows the residential voltage, what I would need is the industry voltage, basically what they EU uses in there plants as voltage.

Foty said:
I did find that site, but it shows the residential voltage, what I would need is the industry voltage, basically what they EU uses in there plants as voltage.
If you're talking about three phase distribution, I'm not so sure even the United States has a standard. I've done machine controls with 480V and 240V. I was always under the impression that you specified what you wanted in your building when it was wired by the local electric utility...

Does anyone else have a better idea of what industry does in the way of "three phase"?

That is true, because when I do projects in the US it's allways been 3 pahse 460 and in Canada it's 3 phase 575. I was wondering if EU has a different voltage, I know that hz is different.

We are currently in the middle of a 'Harmonisation' programme throughout Europe to attempt to standardise Line and Phase voltages.

Harmonised Line Voltage - 400V 50 Hz
Harmonised Phase Voltage - 230V 50 Hz

These are all nominal voltages and have +- tolerances (6-10% i think?).

We in the UK still have distribution references to 415V and 240V on our systems, but it's becoming more frequent to see the new harmonised refernces.

Hope this helps......(y)

When I started in "real" engineering in 1972 at a controls and switchgear manufacturer, generator frequency meters were eith 50 or 60 cycle, and probably 20-25% were the vibrating reed type.

A few years later, most smaller manufacturers were using a "universal" meter that read from 45-65 cycles.

This made shipments to Europe and the rest of the third world simpler.

Around that time, a large knob for voltage adjust appeared, and the voltmeters started covering 420-500 volts.

Progress?

I noticed that 20 or so years back, some of the innovators were going digital.

More progress?

Still, most CAT mechanics still like the old relay controlled panels, not them new fangled embedded controllers.

regards.....casey

it's same almost everywhere like Kidblue already said,

230V-50/400V-50, permitted deviation is (by 2003) +10% -10%

before years then we wasn't .eu member it was 220V & 380V (1993), so i think this was some part of standartization process all newer .eu members already had or accepted

if interested in any other country outside .eu, try this nice list
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

watch the plugs also there

Normally (at least here in Belgium) the industry voltage is sqrt(3) (or ca. 1.73) times greater than the residential voltage. The residential voltage is derived from a star-switched 3-phase generator. Here in Belgium, this means the phase to phase voltage is 400V and the phase to starpoint voltage is 230V. It used to be a 220V / 380V system in the past and I have heard it'll become a 240V / 415V system in time.

Before it was standardised in Belgium dfferent systems were used. The town where I live had it's own central generating a DC voltage (don'know how much, it was way before I came to live here). I even remember that my grandparents had to use a transformer from 127V to 220V to get their TV-set going in the late 60's. Their provider had to swith their connection from fase and neutral to bi-phase for them to use normal light bulbs once the supply of 127V bulb was depleted.

Kind regards,

Last edited: