OT-Linking data using excel

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
My goal is to provide real time production data to anyone who wants to see it in our plant without having to install RSLinx on their machines.
I have a primary excel workbook running on a PC that continuously retrieves data from production equipment via RSLinx. The file is saved on our plant server. I have created another workbook on our plant server that references the primary xls file. I want to be able to get the latest data to anyone who opens this workbook. Currently, the data is only updated when the primary workbook is saved by the main PC. I wrote a macro to save it every 30 seconds. When someone opens a copy of the shared workbook, they are prompted to update the data from the linked workbook. When they click "Yes", the data is refreshed. It is then frozen until they close and re-open the file.
I would prefer to be able to share the data from the main PC with everyone who opens a linked copy without having to save the file every 30 seconds. It would also be nice if the linked file would refresh automatically instead of having to be re-opened. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I don't have a clue where to look. I tried one of the excel forums, but haven't gotten any responses.

Thanks in advance
Paul C.

No budget...especially not now since they've seen it working and the data is updated every 30 seconds...they're not gonna pay just to make the delay a little shorter. Also, there are hundreds of potential end users of this information who are barely computer literate. It needs to be free (MSOffice is already paid for on all these machines) and easy for anyone in the plant to access. I'm just looking for a way to link the data between the workbooks without having to save it to the server so frequently.
Isn't there a way to use OLE or something to do that between most any two windows apps?
The link you provided points to some powerful stuff. May have to check it out vs. RSView in the future.
Thanks...PC

Hi Okie, don't know if this is still a problem to you, but my partner did something very similar recently, here are her comments:

I have a source file which is saving data every minute. At the end of each day the file is archived. You obviously know that Excel Links are only updated automatically if the link file is running on the same machine, in the same copy of Excel. Therefore, looking at the file over the network involves some form of manual updating or via a macro.

I have created a "viewer" file which is loadable on any other network PC with links to the source file. In this viewer file I have a customised toolbar (which is attached to the file) with a button to update the links - which makes it slightly easier for the user. There is no reason why I couldn't loop this macro to update the links every minute in line with the source file being refreshed.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way of doing this without saving the source file on the server. Are you reluctant to do this because it ties up resources?

Hope this helps.....(y)

Are you using OPC, DDE, SQL?

If its DDE. This link may help. http://www.vsh.com/Documentation/WinList/helpid_ddecommands.htm

The key would be setting up the DDE service. Then you link the cell to the service simular to this =RSLINX|Dryer!'n9:31' where RSLNX would be replaced by the server ID.

NETDDE will be needed. You can find info on it here:http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/ddeinfo.html

I wish I had the time to dig this out, because it has real potential. Good luck.

Microsoft has a lot of info on DDE as well. If its OPC, I can't help much at all.
good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Well the IT department got wind of it and fouled it all up for us. I guess I stepped on their toes when I did something in a week they've been asked to do for 2 years. About a week after I got it working they switched the whole plant from fixed IP to DNS. Since I am now just a regular maintenance tech with no access to any PLC software or the network, I can't reconfigure RSLinx Gateway to get it working again.

With regard to saving the fat excel file every few seconds, I was concerned about both the network traffic and the realtime-ness of it. I am not deep into windows or PC computing but it seems really limiting not to be able to share RAM values easily between any two computers on a network.

It's someone else's problem now. I am a rotating shift maintenance tech so I mostly replace bearings and chains and drive belts and stuff, but I occasionally get to trouble shoot electrical controls or a software program...what a waste of my talent...oh well, the pay is better anyway, and I would dig ditches if was the top paying job...I got 3 boys to put thru school. (4 counting me!)

Paul