I should've known better.....

Hardwerk

Hey guys,

I was just installing Logix5000 on my new laptop, and noticed the extra software. I of course loaded the security tools etc which i normally do, BUT my curiosity got me and I installed the security server software.

Now, when i try to fire up logix5000 I get an error 'Unexpected error encountered when connecting to the Security Server database'

I have gone in and tried to uninstall this software but when I do that and try to fire up logix5000 it says i have to have the service client software installed. grrrr, so i install it and get the original error.
Does anybody know how I can either a.) configure to make this run properly or b.) UNINSTALL <----preferred.

I would really appreciate any help as I am due at a remote job site in the morning and really prefer not to spend all night on this.

Thanks in advance

1. Before installing any new software, create a restore point.
2. Run the uninstall tool. Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Remove software.
3. Make a copy of your registry.
4. Reinstall the software.
5. If the software doesn't work, uninstall, then open up the registry to remove any traces of the software install.

Hardwerk said:
does anybody have any suggestions on my current status that doesn't force me to go back in time?

Reread my post. Start at number 2.

2. Run the uninstall tool. Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Remove software.
3. Make a copy of your registry.
4. Reinstall the software.
5. If the software doesn't work, uninstall, then open up the registry to remove any traces of the software install.

Norton System Works will remove any old unattached items in the registery after the uninstall. Do you have it on your laptop?

I did the security server thing when it came with RSLogix500. If i remember correctly, I had to get a utility from AB Tech Support called regkiller to remove references to security server.

call Rockwell Tech Support ... they have the "secret password" type information to clear this up ... I used to work for an AB distributor and I've been through this same situation with several customers ... call Tech Support ... they can lead you through the registry edit steps you need ...

they don't (or at least they didn't) publish the information you need because it's a "security" thing ...

call Tech Support ...

After inistalling the software you'll need to clean out your windows registry so there are no references to previously installed software (sloppy uninstalls leave information in the registry, hence when you re install the software it reads this information and sets it up accordingly).

You could try a program like Regseeker to clean out your registry, it's freeware and works fairly well, although not as well as a licensed product obviously (maybe talk to your IT department, they may already have a program for the job).

Here's a link: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Hope it helps.

Mart

Thanks alot guys, I will try this and get back to you.

Unfortunetly I'm now writing a custom VB app to bypass RSView SE. So that is where my time is.

Really appreciate the help though.