OT Circuit Tracers

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking at buying a Circuit Tracer Kit that I can use to trace both live and unpowered circuits. I had pretty much decided on getting the Amprobe AT-2004 until I saw that Ideal has some of these too. Amprobe is coming out with a kit that is similiar to the Ideal, ie 1 transmitter and 1 receiver that will cover energized, unenergized, and open circuits. However they have had some production problems with this unit (the AT-4000 series).The AT-2000 series has been around for several years. Any advice?

Randy

RTA,
What are you wanting to use this for?

I have used simular units (google for 'ring out') when finding which of several cables contains the wire I'm looking for. But, NEVER on a live circuit or with either cable end terminated.

I looked the Amprobe AT-4000 and noticed a working voltage of 600 at 32,768 HZ. Using Ohm's law (I=E/R) then an opto isolator , assuming a nominal 20 milliAmp signal would trigger with a 30,000 ohm load.
That scares me. Firing or frying a random circuit - a CMOS driver would not be happy.

And what about comm circuits?

Again, it depends on your requirements

Rod

What are you wanting to use this for?

Well I have used less expensive alternatives in the past mostly on 120VAC live circuits. Never used anything like this on DC circuits. I would like to be able to trace 120VAC and at times 277VAC live circuits. I also wanted to be able to trace out unpowered and open conductors.

I have used various brands and models over the years. I personally dont see how you can work without the ability to trace live or dead circuits. Some of the units have a working range in miles.

I have used Amprobe, Greenlee and others and they all have worked as expected.

The transmitters place a signal that rides on the AC voltage in a live circuit, as does many industrial applications. I am not aware of a situation where you could "fire or fry" anything using the device.

Ron,
You are correct. I was thinking along the lines of circuit BOARD tracing and wiring from/to inputs/outputs.

Rod

rta53 said:
Well I have used less expensive alternatives in the past mostly on 120VAC live circuits. Never used anything like this on DC circuits. I would like to be able to trace 120VAC and at times 277VAC live circuits. I also wanted to be able to trace out unpowered and open conductors.

Some of this confused me...what is new? These type tracers can be obtained for different voltages. The standards many of us use are for 600vac or less....note you can get them for medium and high voltage apps too.

These things are meant, more or less when live to trace "power circuits"...ie any feed circuit to lighting, machines etc. In other words to lead you to the supply breaker/fuse.

In many plants the machine may be properly labeled and documented (if lucky) but things get moved around so the "supply" may come from anywhere and not be documented....it gets rough on the neck trying to follow coduit in the ceiling.