Eaton NZM3 600V/630A circuit breaker arc flash

mike3475

Hi everyone:

we have Baumuller AC drive BM4463 300A 160KW, it drives Baumuller AC motor DST2-315BO54W-020-5-A (90KW;RPM 200; 365V; 215A;83Hz).

the drive rectifier was shorted, the AC input of the drive comes from Eaton NZM3 600V/630A circuit breaker, so it badly arc flashed and tripped.

any possible can i use this arc flashed circuit breaker for testing repaired AC drive? I am able to repair this ac drive.
why i ask this question is this circuit breaker is very expensive about $11000. if i installed new circuit breaker and testing for repaired AC drive, if this repaired ac drive shorted again, the new circuit breaker will arc flash again.

Thanks!

IMG_20240125_131116.jpg

The first thing to remember is safety first, and especially more so with high current devices like you have here.

If you are concerned the repaired soft start may short and fry a new breaker, then I perhaps question your ability to repair and test safely.

We have gotten multiple large VFDs and soft starts repaired at a local business. They always do a professional job, and we have never had a repaired device cause any issues.

One of our customers had a 400HP mill motor on which the incoming power leads shorted taking out the soft start and breaker ahead of it. We replaced everything; the motor, wiring, soft start, and breaker. Was it expensive, yes, but the way I look at it, human life is infinitely more valuable than money.

P.S. We were able to find a rebuilt breaker for a 1/4 of the price of new. You may have already checked, but Radwell and Superbreakers have a large selection of rebuilt/refurbished breakers for good prices.