RSView ME (3.20.00)

peng

I am developing an RSView program in ME version 3.2.00 (CPR6) and running RSLinx 2.43.01.23 (CPR6). I am asked to upgrade version to RSView 4.0.

By doing so what are the road blocks that I'll face when proting my existing application that I created in version 3.2. Will I have to upgrade RSLinx as well.

Peng:

You are correct. If you upgrade from CPR 6 of RSView ME (version 3.2) to CPR 7 (version 4.0), you will also have to upgrade your RSLinx from version 2.43 to version 2.50.

Actually, porting your application should be the least of your worries--but be sure to save a backup file (.apa) of your 3.2 application. When you open your 3.2 application in 4.0, it ports quite nicely, but you will not be able to revert that copy of the application to 3.2.

Be sure to think about your current and future application needs before upgrading. You will have to balance (at least) two factors:

1. Is it imperative that you use the new features in version 4.0 (language switching, global objects, and Recipe Pro) in your application?

2. Moving to version 4.0 will require you to use a different method of securing your application, called RSAssetSecurity. This will add a layer of complexity to the application, although the impact is not as big as if you were using RSView SE.

Be advised however, that if you do move to version 4.0, it is very difficult to return to version 3.2. The new security can make changes to your system's registry that can only be fully corrected by Technical support and/or Rockwell's software Customer Success Team (CST).

I recently had the situation where I was moving back to RSView SE 3.2 from 4.0 (to meet customers' needs), and I spent several hours (including time over the weekend) on the phone with technical support before my situation was resolved. In fact, it's not fully resolved (I have intermittent unexpected shutdowns of RSLinx Enterprise), but at least I can run the software.

Good luck, and weigh your options carefully...

Rick

Last edited:
Peng,

Dont be worry to move forward from ME 3.2 to ME 4.0, it was not a big deal but your security system will change at all.
If you use your ME to PView it will be need RsLix Enterprises (It depend where are you run your ME runtime). Coz RsLinx enterprises support CE.

And just as a gotcha that turned up on one of our projects a couple of months back.....

When updating a project from 3.2 to 4.0, the project automatically puts a checkmark in the "display" box in the alarm properties. If you were not displaying individual alarms, this can give you some error messages. All you have to do is uncheck the display tab in the alarm message configuration, but it can be a little confusing if you don't know why the error messages are popping up.

rgurin said:
Peng: You are correct. If you upgrade from CPR 6 of RSView ME (version 3.2) to CPR 7 (version 4.0), you will also have to upgrade your RSLinx from version 2.43 to version 2.50.

Hmm, I've been using RSViewME 4.0 well before I updated RSLinx to 2.50. You do need to upgrade RSLinx Enterprise to 4.0 first (which comes with the RSView upgrade).