Pressure Transducers to monitor for blown hoses.

willpower100

Has anyone ever used pressure transducers into a PLC to monitor for failed hydraulic hoses.

I have a system running at a compost plant. 10 pressure transducers monitor hydraulic pressures on various motor circuits. The transducers are setup to detect when the pressure spikes beyond a setpoint in the PLC. This indicates stalled motors that drive the screen rolls and conveyors.

Failed hoses are a real no-no, spilled oil is bad for the environment. If one of these hoses goes it can drop a lot of oil in a very short order. I already have a level switch set up on the tank, but would like to know if anyone has tried to monitor pressures to detect failed hoses. Ie, setup setpoints that detect low pressure on a circuit when the system is running.

Willpower

That,s possible.when hoses get damaged and coused leakage oil so pressure droped according to its preset value and we have alarming by pressure transducer.

I have used pressure and or flow in other applications to detect a leak. You will have to program a delay at start up, and define what the parameters of a leak are.

Something like:

If,after start delay time, pressure is less than minimum pressure, stop system.

Ken

Like Ken, when I do this I have a delay at start-up to disable alarms until my starting sequence is finished and the system stabilizes. I also generally use another time delay before tripping the alarm. That way you don't get nuiscance alarms from a momentary dip in pressure when a couple of valves open suddenly or such.