Control logix sequencer perhaps???

darrenj

Hi all. I am Tweeking an existing program i did last year, I am wondering what better way there is to program the following,

Sequence
step 1 open product valve at fill tank to 8" (Tank is maintained at 8" elsewhere in the program)
step 2 open drain valve
step 3 horn sounds for 2 seconds
step 4 start piston cycle
step 5 do this for 2 mins
step 6 open and close product valve 5 times
step 7 sound horn for 2 seconds
step 8 wait 5 seconds
step 9 overflow tank for 2 mins
step 10 drain tank own to 8 inches
step 11 sound horn for 3 seconds
step 12 start again

If any of the levels are not met or fall below during the cycle everything holds untill level is met again..

Here is the code i wrote (Be nice!! it was first real AB program!!)
Ignore all the rung errors..i just yanked the sub routine out of the main program and created a new one..the errors are becouse i didnt re-create the tags..

Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated

Gerry i couldnt find a SFC instruction..i did find SFR that resets a SFC..could you give me a brief run down?

Darren, SFC (sequential function chart) is not an instruction, it is a programming language tool that allows you to develop an application for sequential operations. You divide the operation into discrete steps and transition rules and then develop code for each step in LL, ST, or FB.

Refer to the onlne books under Help for more information of SFC.

Alaric said:
Darren, SFC (sequential function chart) is not an instruction, it is a programming language tool that allows you to develop an application for sequential operations. You divide the operation into discrete steps and transition rules and then develop code for each step in LL, ST, or FB.

Refer to the onlne books under Help for more information of SFC.

Yep..that would seem to be the ticket!!..Damn AB for all these addons! so i have to get the licence for SFC..any idea what that cost?

mmmm i will have to chew that one over..Its been about 15 years since i used a sequencer, it was on the slc 100's and programmed a robot to pick one thing up turn 180 deg and put it down...After a quick view of the help file it is coming back to me.. I do believe in 5000 you can create your sequence in excel?? Is that right?

Thanks

D

When building sequencers, I prefer to use an indexed masked move (MVM) instead of SQO. The SQO is like an indexed MVM with a built in counter. Each false to true transition of the rung will increment the step position. My applications usually require forward and reverse stepping, and step changes other than incremental. I either program the SQO unconditionally true and update the .POS externally, or just use MVM instead. If you're using the SQI instruction, the MEQ works equally well there also.

I normally do all the homework in excel and let it calculate the integer values, for the bits in each step, which are copied and pasted into RSLogix one value at a time. At one time I wrote an excel macro to do this for me with a button click, but it was machine specific and I have changed departements and lost that little tool.

I haven't tried to copy and paste between excel and RSLogix5000. Maybe you can do more than a single value at a time. That would be really nice.

Here's a blank sequencer worksheet:

darrenj said:
Yep..that would seem to be the ticket!!..Damn AB for all these addons! so i have to get the licence for SFC..any idea what that cost?
If you have access to RSLogix 5 you could get a feel for working with SFC's. (It's not an optional extra in RSLogix 5). The implementation in CLX is, of course, similar but different.

Thanks all..I now have a couple of examples and am going to digest and "Play" with this stuff tomorrow on site. As for SFC it cost about $1000.00 Canadian.. :(. I will talk to my distributor and see if i can "Borrow" a license for a week or so to test it out before.

Will let you know how it goes.. Thanks a lot..

Darren