What next???

djbillyd007

I have seen some posts on this subject and may bring up an old argument. Right now I am on hold and thinking of the next step. I have been working for a small company for 2 years and have gotten them to send me to step-7 200 school and am scheduled for a drive school. What I am wondering for the future. Is it better to get this type of training or go ahead and get the Bachelors degree. I now have an associate from ITT Tech. I can get the Bachelors in 10 months. I am happy with the small company I am with now, but have learned the hard way that staying @ a company for many years is the exception this day in age. I would like to be in the best position possible in that event. I am 35 years old and have already experienced 2 plant shut downs. My opinion of the state of or business today is be ready for change. What in your opinion of the best route for this????

If your less then a year away from a BS, then why not go for it. 10 months is a smiggen in time compaired to the rest of your carrier.

I'm a few years the wiser, but take that for what it's worth (nothing)...I say take go back a get your degree but part time if you are learning at your job don't leave it and take all the schooling that they will give, I prefer the short 1 or 2 week schooling over the long degree studies. I have been through 2 shut downs , I will find out my fate with this company in 54 more days (not that I’m counting) I have been with this one for 11 years, hate to see it go.
That being said the higher the level of programming, the more a degree will count and your income will show it.

That is my point genius. more in programming or more in the way of a degree. I have been with companies that are seimens seimens seimens. I went to an automotive interview a while back and got nailed on AB. not that AB training would have got the job but he was interested in why I didn't go for the BS. is this the exception or the rule??? What I have in mind now is company paid B.S. and every class they will pay for.but with this much training where should my focus be???

I think that was the exception... we are looking to hire one more here, if we stay open. When I interview, I look at more then the degree, If someone can BS me (no pun intended) then they deserve the job, we have a mix of AB, S5, S7...but my point is I will ask a few programming questions (PLC based), then a few motion control (7 and 2 axes), then a few general electrical questions, if they give the right answer (not necessary the correct one) then they got the job.

Now that being said I may have been wrong in my first statement...I may be the exception, I don’t think there is a wrong answer, go with what you enjoy,by doing that you are guaranteed to succeed.

I am not sure what you are asking. Take all the individual training a company offers, these help develop specific skills directly related to the job.
BUT
The ultimate goal should be to get the BS degree (or higher), even if it takes 2 years or so going part time.

The degree is not about obtaining a better job, more money, etc even though that can or might happen.

Its about developing yourself to think and go further then you are now. Its about setting goals then always trying to go beyond them.

Its being able to say...I have no regrets.

Hi Folks....Geniusintraining wrote
When I interview, I look at more then the degree,
Just a little side question. Is that because of the knowledge that you believe the person has because of the degree or is it the resolve of the person in sticking with school for so long to get it? In other words if someone comes to you with 10 years of expierence with PLCs and assorted controls and impresses you with all the right answers, but has a BS degree in hortaculture or accounting, does he still get the job?
Ron wrote
Its about developing yourself to think and go further then you are now. Its about setting goals then always trying to go beyond them.
Would the above situation still fit Ron? Or would you say "Hey dude you switched horses in mid stream, no deal"

Sorry for getting so off topic {sort of}
Later...Todd

Training is good and shouldn't be undervalued, but degrees tend to give you a better 'knowledge base' to work from.

Best analogy I can come up with is instant gratification vs. long term satisfaction.

Think through your situation. Do you need a job and need it now? Or do you have some time to work towards some more long time goals and worry about the details later?

<- But then again do you really want to take advice from this guy? ;)

Would the above situation still fit Ron? Or would you say "Hey dude you switched horses in mid stream, no deal"
I think that an education and degree will open your mind more and allow you to excel in any field...even if the degree is not in the field your degree is in. Having the degree will show that you stick with something and have the ability to learn.

The degree fitting the job may make it easier to get the interview if it is generally in the same field.
BUT
With a Horticulture degree and automation background I am sure the flower industry would be interested. You realize that there are facilities, environmentally controlled etc, that do nothing but grow plants and flowers year round.

The point I think genius was trying to make is the degree is not the end all to obtaing the job but it will help get the interview just as experience without a degree can, its up to you to be able to use another type BS to pass the interview.

I got an AS degree in the mid 80s and regret that I did not go for a BS. An AS degree is nothing today and since leaving the amusement industry the work I have obtained has been based more on skills I have developed over the years.

We had a discussion on panel building and several others that discuss the tools we use. The best tool any person can have is knowledge and that is what schooling and a degree offer. It does not "give" you knowledge but teaches the way to obtain and retain.

I am semi-retired now and going back to get my BS (or more) but will probably never use it...but it will be one less regret.

One (or two) more thing(s) for you to consider: if it is not an accredited school, then I wouldn't waste my time and second, go for the Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering (NOT BSEET). I've been seeing quite a few people with the BSEET degree and I'm not impressed. Skipping all the math and physics and harder classes for labs is not (in my opinion) the way to go. If you don't want to go through all that trouble, then stick with 1 week classes on specific vendor equipment. Just realize that equipment advances and you will need to stay current to mean anything.

My take on the degree vs. non-degree debate is that a person who can show that they can sit through several years of classes with the knowledge building on the base classes and start to apply what they've learned on new and more challenging problems is better able to adapt then the person who knows instruction sets (via 1 week classes) and very specific vendor equipmnent.

NO PUN INTENDED, but BS will get you farther than not having BS.

Not having a BS and having to deal with many degreed engineers at plants presents challenges. The older ones are more likely to not challenge your capabilies. BUT, there are too many snot nosed brats that will announce they have a college degree and not want to take advise from you despite you doing the work longer than they have been alive.

brucechase said:
if it is not an accredited school, then I wouldn't waste my time

Bruce, I agree with the fact that the degree in the long run would be the best, I plan on going back and finish my doctorate, but my point was that if you want a piece of paper that say’s that I’m smart or do you want the knowledge for yourself to prove to yourself that I’m getting smarter.

"To do easily what is difficult for others is the mark of talent. To do what is impossible for talent is the mark of genius"

The reason I go by the name GENIUSinTraining is the fact, that I will never stop learning, if I do then it’s time to look for and new career.

I stated what I look for in applicant, it’s the knowledge not the degree BUT… I am the last stop for this person they have to get by 3 other interviews before me, point being that one of the other 3 may have disqualified the applicant before I.

Regards

Leadfoot said:
BUT, there are too many snot nosed brats that will announce they have a college degree and not want to take advise from you despite you doing the work longer than they have been alive.

It isn't all their fault. They are taking advantage of the fact they they have learned things you didn't or have long forgotten. Do you remember all you calculus, differential equations and physics after 20 years?. Don't think they will stop. If they don't keep you on your toes then some one in a competitors company will indirectly.

I believe that in the technical world, there are two types of people: The hands-on type who understands how machines work, and the theoretical type who understands in theory how they work. The hands-on guy can usually figure out how somethng works if he can get his hands on it and "feel" the pulse and commune with the machine. The theory type will explain the textbook answers and the mathematical and physical laws that govern the operation. There is a need for both types of people to keep the machinery spinning around.

I am one of the hands-on type. NASA has many theory guys who can explain in detail why the shuttle blew up. Somewhere at a contractor's plant there is an old technician who figured out how to remake the gaskets.

A BS degree in Engineering shows that you can understand the theories, laws, and mathematics of the physical world. Only experience will prove if you have the ability to apply them. Not every BS holder can ever develop the hands-on talent. Many of the theoretical guys that cannot actually make things work get pushed into management, where they are good at telling others how to make things work.

Last edited: