SLC5/04 comms

brijacq

Hiya all,

I have a problem communicating with a customers SLC5/04. The SLC has a Proface HMI connected to it. Unfortunately i have no DH+ comms card (PCMK). I have tried unplugging the Proface and trying to connect with my 1747-CP3 cable and the RS232 driver (by doing the normal autoconfig in RSlinx)but no luck. I also tried the PIC driver thinking it was setup for dh485 using the 1747-CP3, but still no luck. I would be grateful for any other suggestions. The machine is running with no probs, but the customer wants a backup.

Thnx in advance

You need to match your driver with the CH0 config. It may be RS485. If you have a copy of the program, look at it off line, and check the Channel 0 configuration. The you should be able to match RsLinx to it. This may require a seperate driver.

There is one other possibility. Channel 0 may dedicated with a communications routine. I doubt it, but you never know.

Thnx for the reply,

Unfortunately the customer does not have a copy of the program, so i cannot see how ch0 is setup in the offline program. This is my main problem.

Just a few things to make sure of .(1)Did you delete the DF1 driver before adding the PIC driver,
(2)You sometimes have to stop and start RSLinx after adding the PIC driver.
(3)Check the node address, default for PIC is 0,(SLC is 1,but you never Know)you might want to try something different.
(4)Check baud rate default is 19200 so is SLC.(5) Do you have a real serial port,a must with PIC driver.

How about checking the com setting on the HMI? Assuming it's possible, of course. On Panelview for example, you can view the com setting like baud rate, driver, etc...

Yes, the laptop i have has a built in serial port (we always make sure of this) i deleted all the drivers before i tried the PIC. I also did a laptop reset and made RSlinx not run as a service. I tried the different baud rates (only selection is 19200 & 9600)

I did a search on the forum for similar probs and it says for dh485 the rs232 led on processor should blink every 2-3 secs if it is setup up for dh485. The LED is off all the time i am connected to the processor. The only time it is on when its connected to the Proface (and it rapidly flashes).

Thnx Brijacq

I have only ever really worked with AB panelviews, so this is the first Proface i have seen. I will have to get the model number and look up the manual to see if it is possible to get the comms info.

Thnx Brijacq

Forget using the PIC with a 5/04. That is for communicating DH485/RS485 and is compatible with the 5/00, 5/01, 5/02, 5/03. You're just going to hurt something if you continue down that way.

If the CH0 has been switched to the USER mode, you'll need the PCMK card to get in though the DH+ port.

If the CH0 port is set for DH-485, you'll need to use the DB9 RS232 port on a 1747-UIC to connect.