AC Drive Control Powerflex 4

SNK

Quick question.

I have Single Phase 120 VAC feed.
I have a Single Phase 120VAC Fan/Motor Combination.
I now have requirements to ramp up and down at preprogrammed intervals and I need advice on the VFD of choice.

Can I use the Powerflex4 drive? I see in the specs that the feed is 120 SP, but the output is 3P.

How would I connect my single phase motor to this animal?

I wouldn't normally bug you guys, but the Tech-Connect line is putting me on hold for more than 10 minutes.....and I trust everyones opinions here better......

I don't use SP motors in my plant but I use a ton of PF4s and the literature doesn't say anything about a SP motor--only SP power to a 3P motor.

Single phase AC Motors shouldn't be used on a VFD. The various 'tricks' they use to establish direction don't work with variable frequency drives.

Swap the motor out for a three phase one, and you are good to go.

I am in the Pharma Industry and to change the motor/fan combo is more difficult.

The fan/motor combo is a German Designed Integrated system,

http://www.ebmpapst.us/allpdfs/G2E140.PDF

I just spoke to a EBM rep, and he explained that all motors of this type can be variable frequency controlled.

I am curious about the Powerflex4, since it sounds like it is small enough and capable of controlling this unit. The problem is, like mentioned above, all examples of wiring are using a 3P motor.

Any ideas?

I'm not going to swear to it but if memory serves me, the old AB 160 can roll single phase motors. Barring that, I would think that some manufacturer has a unit you could use--maybe AD, T B Woods, etc.

If EBM is so hot on saying their motor can be VFD driven, ask them what they suggest. Put the monkey on their back.

Thanks for the link!

This sounds like it is the drive that I need.
Once again, more minds are better than one.

Appreciate the help.
I am still curious about the PowerFlex4 though....

For $460 each, the Optidrive is defineately worth looking at.