What is the format of the RSView SE alarm log file?

briana banks

Hi All

Due to an error in the alarm logging file
i want to edit the .DAT file in a way that afterwards
RSView AlarmLogViewer will continue be able to read it.

how can i do that?

Thanx

I have opened those files in the past with microsoft excel; I see no reason why RSView SE won't be able to read it provided you make only a trivial change like removing a line.

However, if you are talking about the current record, you will need to stop the alarm server service from the RSView command line (have a look in the help for how to do it). Then restart it again to see if the results have updated.

Hi

Try and see.
the excel save it in a db2 format do a minor change like deleting a row then save it .afterwards AlarmLogViewer won't
be able to read it.

briana banks said:
Hi

Try and see.
the excel save it in a db2 format do a minor change like deleting a row then save it .afterwards AlarmLogViewer won't
be able to read it.

Hmmmm... Try saving the file in a .txt or .csv format rather than DB2, then change the file suffice back to .dat. It may be that Excel is adding some **** to the file header when it is saved in that DB2 format. Better still, open the file in Notepad and try editing it there as a test. I don't have a SE project right now so I can't test this for you I'm sorry!

Hi

i have tried modifing the .dat file using notepad
i changed only one single number in the date field
and AlarmLogViewer crashed with an unknown reason.

Brianna,

Sorry, I don't have a sure fire solution for you but I do have a couple comments.

First, never use Excel to edit files where you have to maintain formatting for another program. It reformats data on the fly. You can't even trust it to edit a .csv file without unwanted changes. (i.e. if you have a part number of 00001, Excel will change it to 1)

When you made the edit to the date field, did it cause the record to have a date *after* the following record? That may be what caused the crash. You may have to move the record to the appropriate spot. Just a thought.