TIA Portal v18: Calendar date display in UK format?

It follows the currently active Windows format.
This depends on the regional settings for the user that is currently logged in.
It also means that you may see something different on the Windows PC and on the Panel.
If you have setup English UK as the language, and this language is selected on the Panel, the various language dependent formats changes accordingly.

It follows the currently active Windows format.
This depends on the regional settings for the user that is currently logged in.
It also means that you may see something different on the Windows PC and on the Panel.
If you have setup English UK as the language, and this language is selected on the Panel, the various language dependent formats changes accordingly.

I came to this thread to type pretty much exactly that, or at least that's true for Comfort. Never tried with basic.

so, uh, yeah. What he said. :nodi:

I can't recall if that's something you set in the regional settings in the control panel, or if it follows the language/locale.

I think the default is US English. My computer is set to English English and TIA language setting is just "English" (no localisation). Doesn't affect anything that I've found until you find the displayed date in the wrong format, but every new project defaults to US English.

In "Project Tree > Project Languages" you can set the language to UK English to change the date format but because this is a whole new language from TIA's point of view, no project texts will be carried over. I believe you also have to remove the US English language from the project too as I found it won't change the date format with both in there, even with UK as the default.

Okay, chaps, I might come back to this later.
Just asked in case it was an easy fix, but it might take some time by the look of it.

Last edited:
Okay, chaps, I might come back to this later.
Just asked in case it was an easy fix, but it might take some time by the look of it.

Plus side is, it isn't any more work to fix later than now :)

At some point you'd need to export all the project texts and import them in the new language. It isn't HARD (maybe 10 button clicks?) as much as it is Just One More Thing.

Sorry everyone, I'm resurrecting this old thread - because "I'll do it later" has now become "I need to do it now".

Any pointers for how to get date to display in UK format? dd/mm/yyyy?

Currently set to US format by default which will really confuse the operator (despite the fact my user manual currently says "Warning: Dates are displayed in US format")...unless I can change it to UK.

I will check the HMI 'settings' in case that is the place where it needs setting to UK.

date format.png

Last edited:
I have done this successfully a few times, but it means that all language settings (Project Tree > Languages & resources > Project languages) in the whole project must be English (United Kingdom). The default is English (United States).

If you change the language on a heavily commented project, you need to move everything you've typed using the Project texts resource. This brings up a table and everything from the newly added language will be blank.
After you've done everything, untick English US and make sure both Editing language and Reference language are changed.
Very important to take a backup before you do this, it affects all HMI labels, tag names and I think rung comments too.

I have done this successfully a few times, but it means that all language settings (Project Tree > Languages & resources > Project languages) in the whole project must be English (United Kingdom). The default is English (United States).

If you change the language on a heavily commented project, you need to move everything you've typed using the Project texts resource. This brings up a table and everything from the newly added language will be blank.
After you've done everything, untick English US and make sure both Editing language and Reference language are changed.
Very important to take a backup before you do this, it affects all HMI labels, tag names and I think rung comments too.

Blimey, the thought of that gives me the heebie-jeebies. I won't be doing that, as I know I'd mess it up.

Intuitively, changing the date format seems like it should be such a simple thing to do, but the reality is very different!

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's done like that because you could have a machine set to multiple languages.

I don't change it on most stuff just in case I miss something. I wish I could change the default language settings* because I always forget until there's a heap of text that needs transferring over.

*If somebody comes along and tells me this is configurable I'm going to slap myself in the face.