Is S7-PLCSIM built into TIA Portal v18...?

Mas01

Hi,
My PLC hardware has been delivered to customer site - many thanks for the invaluable help on this forum!

I was looking into see if it's possible to do "offline" updates for when the Operator wants some updates doing - hopefully I can do them offline without physically having the hardware.

When I clicked on "Start Simulation", I got this error message about needing to install "PLCSIM".

QUESTION: Does anyone know if PLCSIM is a separate licence or is it part of TIA Portal (Version 18, in my case)?

Thanks

PLCSIM needed.png

EDIT: Just googled and PLCSIM appears to be a separate licence.

Thinking about it, I'm wondering how it will work, because I would need it to simulate 4-20mA analogue inputs.

EDIT: Just googled and PLCSIM appears to be a separate licence.

Thinking about it, I'm wondering how it will work, because I would need it to simulate 4-20mA analogue inputs.

PLCSIM *ADVANCED* is a seperate license, which is needed when you want to do something a little extra in your sim: have another simulation tool control the PLC via an API, have network connectivity to your sim, etc.

PLCSIM (regular) is "included" in Portal in the sense that there is no extra licensing required, however it is a separate install. If you keep scrolling down on the main Step 7 trial install page, you'll see PLCSIM. This supports basic code simulation, including connecting to a simulated HMI on your PC.

PLCSIM *ADVANCED* is a seperate license, which is needed when you want to do something a little extra in your sim: have another simulation tool control the PLC via an API, have network connectivity to your sim, etc.

PLCSIM (regular) is "included" in Portal in the sense that there is no extra licensing required, however it is a separate install. If you keep scrolling down on the main Step 7 trial install page, you'll see PLCSIM. This supports basic code simulation, including connecting to a simulated HMI on your PC.
Okay good to know. Hopefully there's no extra cost or this installation!
Thanks.

I really didn't expect that downloading PLCSIM would be so difficult.

In order to register for the download, I had to fill in a form with company address and contact details, etc.

I wonder if this is yet another benefit of Brexit?

Capture.jpg

I really didn't expect that downloading PLCSIM would be so difficult.

In order to register for the download, I had to fill in a form with company address and contact details, etc.

I wonder if this is yet another benefit of Brexit?

Negative. This is a result of export controls.

Oddly, I didn't have to jump through half as many hoops to buy TIA Portal, so I've no idea why PLCSIM should be so much more difficult.

The runtime packages have more export lockdown than the engineering packages. Dunno why.

They're pretty permissive, usually, especially for existing customers that have spent money. A human being has to check the box that you aren't a terrorist or in north korea or something like that, so sometimes it can take a day and sometimes a week. Every so often when someone signs up it comes back "no" and then they have to call customer service and ask them to check again.

Thhere is https://nettoplcsim.sourceforge.net/, a tool which says is network expansion for PLCSim, which OP might use if he also needs to test external applications (such as HMIs) communicating with his simulated PLC.

Last project I did I used PLCSIM Advanced 4.0, which is basically PLCSim + network connectivity, it was very neat way of doing software development. This is separate software and license unlike PLCSim.