S7 PLCSIM: What's the correct way to modify values?

Mas01

Daft question coming up...When I want to modify a value, what's the best/correct way to do this?

At the moment, I am entering the value (e.g. "5500"), then pressing return.

However, when I do that, it changes the value in the cell directly below it, typically changing it to zero.

Is there a way to modify values, without changing any other values? Thanks

Screenshot 2024-02-27 151015 modifying values.png

I don't know that particular HMI but a few things come to mind, it may be possible to turn off the automatic tab on the input fields some HMI's have this i.e. on the return key it selects the next field, although I cannot understand why on a return the next field is going to 0, perhaps a double return or the edit field is automatically zeroed seems weird.
Oh.. sucenly realised you are using the simulator, agree with the vat table on S7.

It doesn't do that for me. I type number, hit enter, that one changes and nothing else.

You could try the "Consistent Modify" option (turn it on in the SimTable properties) to change whichever field is checked all at bummer. It uses a button to trigger them all at once, which may help with whatever the real issue you're seeing is.

I'm a little bit intruiged/scared by "PLC_1[Off]" in the pic, mine always says the PLC type (assuming yours is 1200, like usual) in the brackets. Might be an indication that something weird is going on?

It doesn't do that for me. I type number, hit enter, that one changes and nothing else.

You could try the "Consistent Modify" option (turn it on in the SimTable properties) to change whichever field is checked all at bummer. It uses a button to trigger them all at once, which may help with whatever the real issue you're seeing is.

I'm a little bit intruiged/scared by "PLC_1[Off]" in the pic, mine always says the PLC type (assuming yours is 1200, like usual) in the brackets. Might be an indication that something weird is going on?
I dunno why it says PLC_1[off] like that. There is another window in the background with S7_1200, but I have no idea what that one does, or why it's there (pic 2).
Once again, I am fishing around trying to figure out what's going on through trial and error...plus help from you good people.

p.s. I don't know what a VAT table is.

p.p.s. Not sure how the PLCsim can be RUN and OFF simultaneously (pic 1)Screenshot 2024-02-28 101127 run and off - how.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 100124 2 windows.png

Last edited:
edit: Just watching a video on vat tables now (y)
They're called Watch tables in Portal. Don't use forces. The feature technically exists, but it isn't The German Way, and thus it's only half implemented and you'll get into trouble.

The nice thing with watch tables is that you can change tags in DBs as well (and obviously use them with regular PLCs, not just sim), whereas PLCSIM can only do I/Q/M.

The Sequences in PLCSIM are pretty cool, to help automate your testing.

UPDATE: If I enter the value, then just click in a different cell (see post#1) then the new value is updated without any other values changing.
That seems to be a workaround for me, thanks.