Remote Control Software.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,
there is a new wave of remote control software based on just a plain internet connection, and no need to preinstall any software on the remote PC.
(I am not thinking of traditional solutions like PcAnywhere).

There are several vendors of this kind of product, and I would like to know if any of you guys are using it, and what experiences you have.
The ones I have found are:
NetOp On Demand,
NetViewer,
LogMeIn Resque,
and possibly others...

We are a company that has projects everywhere in the world, so this would be an excellent addition to the support of our customers.

Jesper,
I am in the same boat as you as far as having customers all over. We have used gotomypc.com with great success. It allows you to take control of a computer via an internet based proxy server. This service comes with pretty good security as well.

Basically, we have a local control lan with an engineering station on that nework. We installed a second NIC to access the customers LAN and the internet. I must stress that there are security concerns associated with any internet communication. We installed a hardware firewall and anti-virus software to minimize the risk. The ultimate safeguard in my opinion is disconnecting it from the internet when not in use.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info Hydro guy !

However, I checked GoToMyPC and it looks like it is the opposite of what I am after. It allows remote access to the PC where the software is installed.

I want to access any PC out there where a customer in principle "invites me in" so to speak. There is a special software on my PC, but nothing pre-installed on the remote PC.
In that way we can offer free online support to all our customers.

You scheme requires us to purchase and preinstall a software package on all potential PCs we need to reach (if I have understood it correctly).

That's correct.

It sounds like you are looking for remote assistance. This is a standard MS feature. I have used it to access family members computers quite regularly. The only problem is if the computer is behind a NAT device such as a gateway. There are ways around it, but none of them to easy.

You say "I want to access any PC out there where a customer in principle "invites me in" so to speak." Are you looking to simply operate the customer pc?

Great Thread JesperMP

I have the same problem as well. I always tell my customers that we will do what ever thier computer guys recommend. My last customer used Microsoft Live Meeting. It worked fine but it is a pay service and I used thier account.

Confused again

I am not exactly sure what you mean by no software installed on the company PC. If you plan to connect to a company PC to connect to PLC's then that PC should have the software and/or adapters/keys....it depends

If that is so then a VPN (virtual private network) could be established where you could have full access to the PC involved.

Here is a primer on VPN; http://www.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm

More info: http://www.vpnlabs.com/vpn-categories/VPN/4/index.html

IF the system(s) you want to connect too are connected by Ethernet and connected to a computer with Internet access then it would be simple to establish connection through the Internet and use software/adapters on your PC.

We initially used realvnc as well. The only problem with it is that it runs over TCP/IP ports that are typically blocked by corporate firewalls and administrators in my experience have not been willing to open them up. Products like gotomypc and logmein run over port 80 which is not on the standard blocked ports list.

rsdoran:
I am not exactly sure what you mean by no software installed on the company PC
It works in this way:
Customer PC has a normal internet connection.
When the need arrives, the customer uses an internet link on the PC to download a small program that allows ME to see and operate his PC remotely.
I can then show him interactively what to do, or check the problem directly as if I was in front of the PC.
When finished I say "goodbye" and the program terminates.

Nothing is installed permanently on the customers PC.
We dont have to preinstall ANY software on the customers PCs.
It will work with any firewall setup at the customers location (acc to sales pitch).
Its not exactly cheap (approx 1500 USD per year). But we dont have to purchase multiple licenses (100+ customers all over the world).

I am definitely not after a VNC connection or something like that.
Customers dont want a permanent access from the outside, but they can accept a temporary access and then only when they want to. And all they have to do is to click a link, no need to involve their IT department.

Will look into the various suggestions, thanks all. :)

edit -- 505bloke:
I also use LogMeIn as per 10BaseT's post
One of the alternatives that I mentioned earlier is the LogMeIn Resque (not the standard version).

Last edited:
If using XP Pro, use the free Remote Desktop. Works pretty well for me when I'm onsite and need to access my home pc. It does need port 3389. You can change the port number though.

Someone has already pointed out the obvious internet security issues involved with something like this, but as a non-user of these types of applications, how do you guys deal with safety implications?

Are we talking about making changes to code in a process or machine? How do you secure it to ensure that no-one has their hand inside the mixer when you activate the new software? Or are you talking about read-only diagnostic access to a PLC on the other sie of the world?

Regards

Ken

DaveW,

Remote Assistance or remote desktop do not work when behind a NAT device (router) as most pc's in the business world are.

Ken M,
We are talking about full control of a networked pc on the control LAN which has any number of automation programs that allow you to access PLC's or HMI's. As noted earlier, security is a concern whenever you expose a control LAN to the internet. You must take the proper precautions and even then, you are vulnerable. The pro's and con's must be compared and if you do not absolutely need access the the web, then don't set it up. A minimum to me is as follows:

1. Hardware firewall
  2. Anti-virus software
  3. Software firewall that disables all access until specifically enabled.
  4. A service such as gotomypc that has built in authentication measures.
  5. Last but to me the most important, disconnect the cat-5 cable to the internet when not in use!