Next Problem

glaverty

I am trying to connect an EZTouch touch screen to a SLC 5/02 and when I press any button on the screen I get the error message:

STS FO EXT_STS OB ERRORS FROM PLC 01

Reading the Help file for the Touch Screen it says:

"This error will occur if the unit reveives an error message from the PLC in response to the cammand it sent. Check your Allen Bradley protocol manual for the error code."

Now assuming I am reading the AB manual correctly the error code 0B states that the Target(PLC) node does not accept this type of MSG instruction.

I can connect this to a Brick SLC and it communicates fine but when I try the 5/02 I get this error.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas on something to try?

Thanks,

Greg

Does it supports DH485?

SLC 5/02 supports only DH485.. I am not sure that EZTouch touch screen supports that protocol. Please verify.. If yes, again check with different baud rates and node numbers

Good Luck !!

It's set up for DH-485, it works fine with an SLC Brick, just won't work with the 5/02. I've tried different node numbers, haven't tried different baud rates, guess I'll give that a shot.

Not sure what you meen by a brick, If you have an SlC that has the I/O intergal and will accept the 2 slot rack , then the other 5/02 should work. Make sure the program is the same from one to the other , with the exception of the processor. Make sure the node is the same from one to the other. Make sure you are using the same cable. Check to see if the AIC module is powered if you are using one. If it works on the 01 it should on the 02. Make sure the config in you panel is setup for an 02 if it is a choice.

Walk said:
Not sure what you meen by a brick, If you have an SlC that has the I/O intergal and will accept the 2 slot rack , then the other 5/02 should work. Make sure the program is the same from one to the other , with the exception of the processor. Make sure the node is the same from one to the other. Make sure you are using the same cable. Check to see if the AIC module is powered if you are using one. If it works on the 01 it should on the 02. Make sure the config in you panel is setup for an 02 if it is a choice.

By brick I mean it is a SLC5/01 that you can't change any cards on the I/O, processor and power supply are all one unit.

You can't choose the processor type in the Screen setup just the communication protocol, that is selected as DH-485.

I'm thinking that there is some setting in the 5/02 that is causing the problems because there is nothing else to change on the screen.

Are the 501 and the 502 the same node number? Can you get on line with the 502 with a laptop? Look at the linx software and see if the 502 comes up , and the node number. Then add the panel and see if the panel comes up on the linx screen. It seems as if the initial comunications is OK , looks as if it gets past the token ring passing. I have had problems with not having address in the program that the panel is looking for, if you have an alarm file make sure the trigger file exists.

I can see the 5/02 with Linx and it sees the panel, the panel is communicating with the PLC, it can read registers, but when I try to write to registers or bits by entering a value or pushing a button I get the error code.

Both the 5/01 and 5/02 are node 1.

Everything looks good as far as I can tell, it's probably something subtle, it always is.

I found this on the EZ panel sight , these are the controllers they say work with the panel. If you brick is a Micrologix I could see why it works, It might work if you use an AIC pluss to an AIC then to the 502 , or try the DH485 driver to a pic modual to the SLC502. What cable are you using is it a 9pin mini din round end or a 9 pin d shell , like a 232 connector ?

Allen-Bradley SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04, SLC 5/05 and PLC5
Micrologix 1000,1200 and 1500 CPUs with DF1 or DH485 protocols
Siemens S7 300/400 PLCs (MPI Adapter, 3964R protocol)
GE Fanuc 90/30 and 90/70 series with SNPX
Any Series Six PLC with CCM2 protocol
Standard MODBUS
Omron's C200 and C500 with HostLink protocol
Mitsubishi FX Series

I can see the 5/02 with Linx and it sees the panel, the panel is communicating with the PLC, it can read registers, but when I try to write to registers or bits by entering a value or pushing a button I get the error code.

If I'm interpreting your statement correctly, the EZ-Touch can read from the 5/02 but not write to it. That means that your cable, protocol selection, and baud rate are all correct. Is it possible that the 5/02 is password protected to make it read-only?

Can you go online with your computer and write to the bits? If you can the panel is at fault if not look at the SLC.

Steve,

I'm beginning to think it is something along those lines. I would expect some kind of timeout error if it wasn't communicating correctly. In fact if you unplug the com cable you get a message along the lines of the panel being the only node on the network.

I'm going through the learning curve for the AB stuff on this project which you can follow from a lot of my recent posts.

I don't have the equipment with me right now but tonight I will be digging through RSLogix looking through all the settings I can find.

Maybe you used wrong syntax? Check the address format in EZ-Touch.
Is there a difference in addressing scheme between Brick and 5/02 ?
Maybe you used ; instead of : in screen tag address. Or maybe your tag data type is wrong. Are you using Radio type PB and have it writing to a register (eg N7:0), but in the PLC you use discrete bit or vice versa?

Got it.

Steve was right on the money.

I was thinking it was something along those lines, the error message threw me off a little I guess.

Anyways for those of you with RSLOGIX 500 I had to go to Controller Properties > Compiler and Change the Data File Protection from All to None.

Thanks for letting me think out loud.