Job Question

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
The good news: I just received a job offer from Company A for my first job out of school. (I graduate @ the end of June)

My question is regarding Company B which I also interviewed with. Would it be appropriate to call them and inform them that I'd need to know whether they planned on offering me anything. The way we left things were that they'd have a response for me by the middle of April.

Company A needs a response by 5:00 PM tomorrow.

I faced a similar situation right out of school. Accept the position at company A. If at a later date Company B offers you a position that you think will benefit you more in the long run, then explain this to company A when the time comes. In the end, I left my first employer after 5 weeks, simply because at my Company B, and the opportunity to get involved with more technical aspects allowed me to accrue more desireable skills faster. It just happened to be more money as well, but I wouldn't factor that into the decision unless it is a considerable amount. The money will come soon enough, the most important thing for you now is, where can I get the BEST EXPERIENCE. At this moment in time, that is company A, and that is where you should go.

I totally agree with Russ. This may bruse your relations at Compay A but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Be sure that when you accept the 1st offer, that you VERY CAREFULLY read the documents before signing anything. There may be a no compete clause wich may prevent you from taking a job at Company B if they are compeating with Company A.

I had the same issue.

Finally, Company A called me and said i need an answer now. So I said "Yes". Company B called a few hours later, being the better job, I took it. Then I called Company A back and quit.

The timing was just a few hours off. But, I didn't feel bad quitting the same day from Company A.

It pretty much looks like we all agree. Great advice from Mike. Don't feel bad if you quite company A. Believe me they could let you go and not even bat an eye. About ten years ago, one of my coworkers used her two week vacation to work at another employer. She planned on quitting her original job if she liked the new position and employer. No two week notice or anything. Turns out the new company and position was not what she expected so she just went back to work at her original job like nothing happened. Pretty slick eh! Nice to see some fellow cheese heads posting. I'm up here in Appleton.
Good Luck and congrats!

Well I called company B and they said they'd let me know by tomorrow morning. We'll see what happens I guess.
Thanks everybody

Companies will push, but don't be afraid to ask for more time if it is needed to make a decision. I took a week off school about two months before I graduated to interview with companies from South AL to the Research Triangle area of NC. In all I managed to interview with five different companies. By the time I got back home to AL, I had three offers pending. All three were good places to work. One offered time in Austria. Guess which one I picked. ;)

They wanted me as soon as possible. I talked with the HR people and reminded them that I had another month and a half before graduation. In the mean time I pushed for more money. I would have gladly taken the first offer, but wanted to stall for time. It all worked. I went to work making more than the first offer, the day after I graduated. Within a year, I was making regular trips to Austria, working with one of the better apprenticeship programs in that country. It was a wonderful place to learn. When the time was right, and I had the experience, I moved back home to warmer weather, family, and a more stable (no traveling) life.

I had to turn down the other companies. To date, I have not tried to work for either one. There is plenty work out there. If you build a good reputation, you will always have your choice of employment. I did not turn the others down until I had the one I wanted nailed down. I did send letters explaining that I had taken another offer, and was thankful for their time.

Well I just got off the phone with company B who made me a better offer. I'm gonna think on it overnight but i'm 99% sure I'll be taking that one. :p

That great hd, now welcome to the real world....

When your anticipating that sheep skin, you tend to think it will be all down-hill from there, but as it turns out it actually gets much hairier...

elevmike said:
That great hd, now welcome to the real world....

When your anticipating that sheep skin, you tend to think it will be all down-hill from there, but as it turns out it actually gets much hairier...

that "sheep skin" ??

I dont get it o_O

Back in days of old, sheep skin was used as the parchment material for diplomas. Their now acid-less paper, but the name stuck..for some.

elevmike said:
Back in days of old, sheep skin was used as the parchment material for diplomas. Their now acid-less paper, but the name stuck..for some.

I kind of thought it was something that was before my time.

I feel I am in need of some 🍻 now