Micro Logix 1500 /ENI Module

plchacker

Just a quick question. I have two Mircologix 1500's. Today we installed ENI series B Modules to communicate over Ethernet. I can see the Processors on RSLinx, so I know that th E-Net and the RS232 sides are both working. I do not have RSLogix set up yet on this network, but soon will.

Will I be able to get online with these processors as is, or is there some other work I need to do?

Past experience with RS232 over Ethernet was more involved. It looked like there are some cool things that can be done with these modules.

If the processors show up as MicroLogix 1500's in the RSLinx browse, complete with the program names, then you know that the 1761-NET-ENI is correctly passing the browse traffic through to the controllers' DF1 ports.

If the 1761-NET-ENI's show up just as Net-ENI's, there's something wrong on the DF1 side of the link.

You're on the right track. Just define your communications driver and node in RSLogix 500 and you'll be able to go online with the controllers to upload, download, and monitor their programs.

Thanks for the response.

I do see the processor names. This is a lot easier than the other way I did this.

The ENI utility was easy to use, and the RS232 side was Plug and Pray.

I once used a device that created a RS232 tunnel over ethernet. There was a driver that created a virtual com port on the PC, and a small adapter at the PLC end. To communicate, I had to set up a RS232 driver connected to the virtual com port in RSLinx. Then, at the blistering speed of 19.2K I was able to go online. But hey, it worked. This device was a lot cheaper than buying a 505 processor.

My students can now start building RSView Projects for the DeMin plants.