Automation Direct DL05 Question

Easiest way is not to press the EStop but that is probably not what you wanted to hear.
You will have to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to achieve, then someone here can probably help.
Regards Alan Case

Are you using Stage programming? If so and you have your Estop in a stage that is being turned off then just move this rung into a additional ISG. ISG's are active on power up and stay active unless turned off in ladder logic. You can have as many ISG's in a program as you want.

Andy

Post the program file here,so we can see what exactly it is that you are trying to accomplish. Then we'll be able to help you alot easier.

Again, you need to give a little more detail about your program and what you wish to achieve.

If you simply which to create a rung that is always on, use a normally open contact with the SP1 function (always on) and the output for that rung will always be true.

Also, is it not possible to have your e-stop(s) hard-wired? That is normally preferable and/or required.

geez, I am the ignorant redneck

DL06 said:
Again, you need to give a little more detail about your program and what you wish to achieve.

If you simply which to create a rung that is always on, use a normally open contact with the SP1 function (always on) and the output for that rung will always be true.

Also, is it not possible to have your e-stop(s) hard-wired? That is normally preferable and/or required.

The word is "wish".

You can also use a normally closed pushbutton that is always energized (standard for a hardwired emergency stop) and use a normally open contact in the software associated with that pushbutton.

AS MENTIONED: Please provide more details about what you need to do AND what plc etc you are working with;.

A PLC should not be used as the main Emergency Power Off (EPO) Controller. Emergency Stop should always be done with relays and a dedicated circuit. I'll assume you're doing that.

Use a Master Control Relay. First, write all the code you want active all the time. Then put in a MCR for the balance of the program. E-Stop will turn off the MCR and power off the rest of the program.
This is a Set/Reset type. Use Master Line Set (MLS) and Master Line Reset (MLR).

See Chapter 5 of the DL05 manual. Page 5-100 in my copy (2002).

rsdoran, for the record I do know the difference between 'wish' and 'which', but was typing quickly. I am glad you were able to step in and point out my error. You killed two birds with one stone by adding value to this thread and showing your superiority over me.

By the way, you ended your last sentence with a semicolon and a period. This is WRONG. You made an ERROR. You must be HUMAN. I just thought that I should point that out to everyone. *sigh*

The simple fact is many of those that visit this forum do not read English and use a translater, an improperly spelled word can cause the translation to be gibberish.

I know I make errors, in most cases I use MS Word so it can remove these errors.

As mentioned in many posts, if you do not like what I, or anyone, has to say then ignore it and move on.

This thread has wandered, as many do. We still haven't heard from the original poster. Maybe he managed to keep his E-Stop rung active without our eager help.

bernie_carlton said:
This thread has wandered, as many do. We still haven't heard from the original poster. Maybe he managed to keep his E-Stop rung active without our eager help.

Let,s hope it dosnt go the same way as the "PLC" tread....

Ron, Thanks for pointing out the translator issue. I Never thought of that. I guess I'll use Word more often in the future.

Above I did not use MS Word and made another error, the word is translator not translater, the bad part is I orginally spelled it correctly but changed it.

Many of the topics wander because the original poster does not return and provide more details but that does not mean other information can not be learned in the process.

In most cases an emergency stop circuit should be hardwired but there are exceptions these days depending on situation. The DL05 is not a safety rated plc so the emergency stop should not be controlled with it but can monitor it to perform functions.

Regardless of the situation an emergency stop pushbutton should use normally closed contacts and if used for whatever reason in a plc it will use a normally open contact instruction if you want it to be TRUE as long as the emergency stop circuit is energized.

As an example I am showing a picture taken from an RSLogix500 program. The green on the instruction shows the ESTOP, which is a normally closed pushbutton, is using a normally open instruction and is active as long as the ESTOP circuit is active.

estop_ex.jpg

I guess I should mention that the ESTOP circuit disabled the output power which did shut down the pump motors etc, I monitored it in the program to restore the system to a default start condition...ie nothing could restart when/if the ESTOP was re-energized.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of information. I am using a DL05 PLC and I am programming in stages. I do have a hard wired E-STOP circut but that is not enough. I am tipping in a 10 foot drill fixture and bringing down 8 carbide drills. For the e-stop I need to raise my drilling heads before stoping the motors or tipping out the fixture.

Dave W Brown said:
Sorry for the lack of information. I am using a DL05 PLC and I am programming in stages. I do have a hard wired E-STOP circut but that is not enough. I am tipping in a 10 foot drill fixture and bringing down 8 carbide drills. For the e-stop I need to raise my drilling heads before stoping the motors or tipping out the fixture.

That's really not an E-Stop. A true E-Stop stops ALL actions. In this case the PLC program will ultimately stop the drill.

If you care to post your program and discribe what you need to happen in it, it would be easer to help you out.