Idec FA-1

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Our plant has an Idec FA-1 PLC in a piece of equipment. One output appears to be miss firing or staying on when it shouldn't. It seems to be related to temperature in the cabinet.

Does anyone out there have the ability (software and cable) to hook up and extract the program from this PLC? Can anyone point me to a place to buy the software and cable? I just want to get at the program as a minimum so a possible retrofit could be made.

Thanks,

Glenn

If i remeber the relay outputs plug in and are replace able. You might replace the one giving trouble with a spare. I also think i still have the software for idec, but not the cables. We bought these units form Carlton & Bates Co. might also be a source. There is also a little hand held unit that you can read the program out with. If i can help let me know. :site:

Mike,

The cables there appear to be for a Micro1. I think the FA-1 is older. Does anybody know if these will work on FA-1 and what is the name of the software package I need to look for?

Thanks,

Glenn

I Think the FA1 uses the same cable.. The sofware we have is FA-prg & FA-Mon, (a real dog). Years ago a vendor shipped us panels with FA1s and we used Mico1s for replacment counters. If I remember correctly we used the same sofware & cable for both.

We use several FA-1 and FA-2J PLCs. The tricky part is that for these models you connect to the program loader to transfer the program. Unless of course the memory module is a CMOS RAM in which case you can connect directly to the PLC to transfer. If the memory module is EPROM or EEPROM you have to plug it into the program loader and upload it and then transfer it from the loader to a PC. You can look at the program in the loader and make modifications there if you dont mind working with statement lists.

Is there a program loader connected to the PLC?

Michael

I do not think there is a loader attached.

P4182331.gif

eeprom.gif

Connector.gif

Glen,

I googled quite a bit and cant find a thing on this. Try calling Idec USA. If your totally unsuccessfull, I might be able to give you a phone number and name of a guy in NJ that built a lot of panels with these in them. If it comes down to that give me a PM.

Ah, I have never seen an FA-1, only FA-1J and 2J. Cant tell from the picture if there is a memory cartridge in there (but I think I see it on the left. You can definately get replacement relays for this if they are the same as what I use for the 1J and 2J. I did a quick search on the IDEC, USA site and there are quite a few distributors listed in the VA area (check this http://www.idec.com/usen/products/us_distlocator.html)

Good luck
Michael

Try finding info on the SyMax model 50 from Square D. They used a custom version on the FA-1J. The EPROM (in the PLC) was different so it would work with the Square D software, but the hardware was the same. I used the same Handloader on the SyMax 50 and the Micro-1. Just different cables.
I would write programs on the SyMax 50 using Square D software (sfw50 I think) then use the handloader to move it from the '50 to the Micro 1. I think the software is called Winladder.

Note that none of this may apply to the FA-1. The photo of the programming connector looks the same. I doubt if Square D software will work, but the Handloader should.
You need interface boxes for the software to go to RS422.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. I have spoken with the OEM and finally found the right guy. He says they still have the software and cables to service it if we have to go that far. They would not give out a hardcopy of their code for troubleshooting, but he did make some recommendations for external inputs that affect this output that is staying on too long. I will investigate further in the morning.