Ultrasonic motion detector.

elevmike

Ok folks,

I'm looking to replace an IR motion detector with an ultrasonic unit. Reason being is the application is to sound an alarm if an object is detected in an area about 8ft x 20ft. The problem with the IR detector is the object quite often dosnt have a heat signature.

The usual ultrasonic detectors I've been able to find have more of a narrow beam rather then a fanned out detection zone. The output would be a simple on/off contact.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. Thanks,

The idea is to keep the forklift boys at bay until the elevator doors are compleatly opened. Apparently they dont get the yellow stripes on the floor, so we are going to re-inforce it with a lowd anoying horn. With the load on the front end, they cant always see if the doors are compleatly opened and tend to rush in and hit the top of the door as it nears the floor.

Our service teams love it, but it's hard to collect the bills on big repair jobs...

Last edited:
The last accident was way way way more costly then the Sick units ever could be... However I did find a potential (but less attractive) alternative from GE for about $50.00. RCR-C

What I was hoping to do was to mount them above the 20' wide x 10' high door and scan the floor about 6'-10' in front of the door.

I've got enough to make some reccomendations.. thanks again.