Question for Phil (or anyone who might know the answer)

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
I had a question about how the forum marks threads as being "read"...

For example...
If I open up a page from my e-mail(via the notification that someone has responded to a thread I've subscribed to) ALL forum threads get marked as "read" from that point on... Regardless of whether I've actually looked at them.

But if I log onto the plcs.net site and navigate to the Live Q&A section, and look at the thread that way, only the threads I've actually read get marked...

Are there some settings I could adjust to change this? Does it work this way for everyone, or just me? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Hehe... It's not horribly important either way... It's just something I was curious about. I (vaguely) remember someone asking about something similar with the RSS feed a while back, but couldn't find the thread....

Hi,

Reading the answer in your email has no effect on the threads read status.

If you log into the forum, every thread you click is marked as read. If you have no activity for 15 minutes(I think that time is correct), all threads are marked read as you are assumed to have left.

Hope that helps,
Phil

Sorry to be unclear Phil.

I don't mean just reading my answer in my e-mail... I mean that when I click on the link to the forums in my e-mail notification... And IE opens up a new page with the thread in it... ALL of the threads are now marked as read from that point forward(at least for me). Does that make any more sense?

For what it is worth, I have had no such difficulty. I stay logged in on the forum all the time so when I come here, I check for new posts and then I read, look, whatever and then click on mark the forum read. I have had no difficulty coming to the forum from an email either.

tom_stalcup said:
ALL of the threads are now marked as read from that point forward(at least for me). Does that make any more sense?

Hi,

Yes, that makes perfect sense.
The reason is because you have visited the forum and are logged in.
By clicking on the link you have come here. The forum recognizes you and gives you the display according to your preferences.
If you just read that thread and leave, you will have no further activity for 15 minutes, and all threads will be marked read as you are assumed to have left.

Hope that helps.
Enjoy,

so phil..if i am on the site but am idle for 15 mins..my name drops of the list and am considered off line?...so my "on line" or "off line" icon changes even tho i am reading a page but am not active?

Just curious..also wondering who "hosts" the board.. It dosent look like Vbullitin...

darrenj said:
so phil..if i am on the site but am idle for 15 mins..my name drops of the list and am considered off line?...so my "on line" or "off line" icon changes even tho i am reading a page but am not active?

Just curious..also wondering who "hosts" the board.. It dosent look like Vbullitin...

Hi,

Yes, that's correct... so read quick. :ROFLMAO:

It's a modified version.

Enjoy,