Omron C200H Communications Board

keithkyll

I'm servicing a Omron C200HE-CPU42 with C200HW-COMO5-V1. The COMO5 is a dual RS232 module. The customer reports this module won't communicate. I am using CX Programmer V1.2 to monitor.

Voltages appear present on ports. I don't see any errors in SR memory. I have another known good PLC to compare with.

The easy thing to do is replace the module. I'm concerned I may need software to configure the new module. The Communications manual mentions Protocol Support Software. Do I need this to replace a COMO5 Module?
Two PMCR instructions are used in the program.
289.08 (port 1) executes PMCR(87), #1051 (set Alarm), #10, DM4300.
289.12 (PORT 2) executes PMCR(87), #2052 (set PID), #10, DM4400.

This is my first experience with Omron. The PLC is for a Temperature Control Unit.

I am no expert, but
I am using CX Programmer V1.2 to monitor
this is a very old version, current version I have is 6.11.

You will need the protocol software, to download the protocol settings for the PMCR instructions.

If you haven't already, I would eliminate the basics first, cable, device's that are communicating with the CPU, addressing, the code that executes the PMCR instructions.

If you get stuck, maybe post a copy of the PMCR instructions for us to look at. gtsupport & jayanthony as well as bobb are pretty conversant with the Omron range.

The new software is CX-One. It's a complete suite. I'm using a 30 day trial.
I looked at the data in the existing COM05 card. It has a custom protocol, so I'll need to copy it to the new card. The text shows some 'garbage' characters such as "1/4, 1/2". I suspect the original was programmed with the Japanese version of software. Will I run into problems trying to copy the orginal data from the old card to the new one?