what SW do you use to create schematics?

agarb

I'd be interested in what drafting packages the folks on this list are using for controls drawings.

I am currently using AutoCad2000.

I have a demo disk of AutoCad Electrical 2006 (was this the old VIA product?) that I ran for the 30 day demo. I was somewhat impressed. It seemed pretty powerful but perhaps overkill. And very expensive.

I just got done installing the Promis*e demo and will give that a try. Any others I should look at? Does anybody know the difference between the Promis*e that Automation Direct sells and what ECT sells? The salesman at ECT couldn't/wouldn't give me a good answer. The price at Automation Direct seems reasonable; the guy at ECT keeps ignoring my request for pricing.

Aaron

We use AutoCAD 2000i. I've only looked into other packages once or twice and they were all overkill for what we do and way too expensive.

There are a few threads on this subject. I suggest you search the forum for "autocad electrical" A lot of good info.

I have said this before, if you draw schematics for any significant portion of your time, you are not interested in making money if you don't use a controls- specific drawing package.

Last edited:
RS Wire ( a version of Promise e) very good once you get it set up. We use it to produce automated bills of materials and it generates orders directly into our ordering system. I do a drawing and a few button clicks later the parts orders are e-mailed to our suppliers.

I am still using the old Via Direct. AD don't support it anymore, but I never have needed much support with it since it is fairly straightforward to use.