siemens ethernet card

mrsenolsezer

I simply want to know, for siemens industrial ethernet connection, for example communicating with a CP 343-1, should i need a CP1512 or a CP1612 in my pc/notebook side or my Intel(R)Pro/100 Network conecction card is already enough for it?

Hello mrsenolsezer;

You can use a standard NIC in your PC or laptop to communicate with a CP343-1, as long as you install software drivers for it, e.g. Softnet for Industrial Ethernet (ask your Siemens rep). If this is for SCADA connection, or any connection that will require long and numerous exchanges, the hardnet cards and drivers (CP1512/1612) will provide a much more stable connection, and free the PC from handling the comms; it can bog down the processor on your PC to a crawl. But of course the expense is proportionnal to the service...
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

If you just need to do programming via STEP7 then you dont need to install Softnet. From v5.2 programming via ethernet is included. You can check if you open the "Set PG/PC interface" utility and see if Ethernet is available.

If you want to use ethernet in connection with a HMI or SCADA software then you do need to install Siemens Softnet or a 3rd party software driver.

I am using the onboard NIC in connection with our HMI solution and I have not experienced any problems at all. Our network usage is "medium" I guess.

Thanks Chartier, so i'll try to use my own nic if it is not enough for speed i'll buy a siemens one.

Best Regards.
mrsenolsezer