AB DH-485 network Drop....Is an 1747-AIC necessary?

SNK

I have a network using a ML1200 connected to a 1761-NET-AIC module, a GE Quickpanel JR connected to the Pheonix Contact bus on the AIC module via 4 wires, and a PC connected to the RS-232 port of the AIC module for programming.

I would like to read data from a SLC 5/01, via DH-485 connection.

From the typical drawings that I see in the AIC manual, I need to use the 1747-AIC modules anywhere that there is a DH-485 connection to the trunkline.

Can I not just directly connect a RJ-485 connector from the SLC 5/01 DH-485 port to the Pheonix Contact connector that the Quickpanel is connected to?

Is the only purpose of this 1747-AIC module to ISOLATE the PLC's?

Any help would be appreciated,

In some cases the 1747-AIC is not necessary but I can tell you from experience that with larger networks, you will get erratic operation if you try to connect an SLC without one. The device provides power to the DH485 line as well as isolation.

Refer to this thread where I had a similar issue:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=18368

Hope this helps.

-John

Thanks for the reply John,
I am only reading two addresses from the SLC, so it shouldn't be a big problem is network drops every once in awhile...

If it isn't absolutely necessary, what are the connections that I need to connect to the AIC module in order to test my logic?
I have an (1761-CBL-AS03)RJ-485 connector with the pheonix end hacked off) with orange and orange/white, and blue and blue/white.
Which wires connect to what points on the pheonix connector?
Currently, I have my Quickpanel connected like this..
TERMINAL B Wht/Blue
TERMINAL A Blue
COM
What connections on the RJ-485 go to what?
Thanks for the help,

Last edited:
Thanks John. I have ordered the 1747-AIC module.
I was hoping that I could setup the communications without the module.
Seems crazy, because for every node that you have, you will need a module.
Next time, it would be more worth it to use another network type. The problem is, I am dealing with a 5/01 (DH-485) and pharmaceutical validation as well.....not the easiest to get past the federallies.

I have used DH485 enough to learn its shortcomings. There are of course times when you don't have a choice, but Ethernet is now my modus operandi whenever possible.