RSView32 RecipePro data base

Mike Carter

Does anyone know of a method to edit the recipe data base created by RecipePro without using the RecipePro editor? According to Rockwell's literature and a call to tech support today they strongly discourage editing the RDB file with MS Access or any other external data base editor as it may corrupt the data base. However, if only the runtime version of the product is on the client, there is no method to remove unneeded recipes. Rockwell knows this is an issue but apparently they are not addressing it.

Mike,
The best solution is to purchase the "Editor" version of RecipePro. Problem solved.

I would agree that is the best solution. But consider this. An OEM machine builder utilizes Control Logix as the basis for an injection mold machine and uses RSView32 and RecipePro for the HMI and multitude of Mold Recipes that may be run in this machine for the lifetime of operation. These mold machines are sold all over the planet. Does the OEM sell the very expensive editor with each machine, and take the risk of untrained end users ruining the code? Typically the OEM does not include the programming editor and HMI editor with the machine to avoid liability. Some go to the extent of password protecting the internal PLC code. If the end customer buys and installs the editing software and then damages the equipment as the result of incorrect programming or misapplication of HMI screens then it becomes the problem of the customer. It seems there should be an easier way to delete an outdated or test recipe from the data base without having to edit the entire project with the HMI editing software. Why bother selling runtime licenses? Rockwell should have provided a deletion script or active x module as part of RecipePro.

Mike,

Hey, Tennesse buddy. If you want the recipes fixed so that you can delete or nullify the ones not needed, then you have to use the RSView Works program to modify the recipe program and add variables that can be deleted by the user. Once that is done, then the Recipepro Runtime will gain the capability of deleting recipes, without using the editor.

The original OEM builder could have added this capability, but did not. If you think you have to have it, then perhaps they would add it, for a fee of course. The question is, will they add that capability for a price that you are willing to pay? If not, the other choice is to buy the software and do it yourself. That only works if the RSView files are not password protected.