S7 MPI Connection problem

JIMCON

Hi,

Im trying to reach my S7-3152DP via my CP5511 MPI card..
The problem is that i cant dowload my project to the plc.
I get the erro message 33:17078

wich says: The configurated hardware is used by another programming package. Closa all S7 applications and restart your programing package.

hmm but I dont have any other programming package running ?? what could that be .. please need help...

There are two possibilities:
1. Step7 sometimes doesn't properly close link to CP driver or it's in use by other opened project. Sometimes it happens that even if you close Step7 the CP still communicates to PLC. :-(
2. I don't know hardware of yuor PC, but CP5511 is incompatibile with many new laptops hardware. It can be found in the Windows Device Manager and set as PG/PC interface in Step7 but it's not operational.

Oh really ? Maybe I shall try the traditional serial port PG konverter then..

Thank for the help i´ll try another method..

One advise: buy yourself an USB2MPI converter. It's a lot faster than the old RS232-MPI converter, you can also use it for the newer S7-22X PLCs as a PPI interface, you can also use it for Profibus connections (which you can't with the RS232-MPI converter), it's cheaper than most other MPI interfaces, it's upgradeable (for free!) and you can use it with any laptop because you won't need an RS232 port. The catalog number of mine is 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0. This was original V1.0, but I've upgraded it first to V1.1 and recently even to V1.2.

Kind regards,

Hi JIMCON.

Have you gone thru the steps of setting the CP5511 card in the "Set PG/PC interface" utility. S7ONLINE has to be set to CP5511(MPI).

If so, there is a "Diagnostics" button in the utility, open it up and use the "Test" button to see if the card works OK, and if it does use the "Read nodes" function. You should be able to see both your PC and the S7 PLC in the list of active stations.

jvdcande said:
One advise: buy yourself an USB2MPI converter. It's a lot faster than the old RS232-MPI converter, you can also use it for the newer S7-22X PLCs as a PPI interface, you can also use it for Profibus connections (which you can't with the RS232-MPI converter), it's cheaper than most other MPI interfaces, it's upgradeable (for free!) and you can use it with any laptop because you won't need an RS232 port. The catalog number of mine is 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0. This was original V1.0, but I've upgraded it first to V1.1 and recently even to V1.2.

Kind regards,

Thank u very much for that tip. I suspect that im gonna program S7 alot upcoming time, :) Time to alert my boss to buy this for me :)

JesperMP said:
Hi JIMCON.

Have you gone thru the steps of setting the CP5511 card in the "Set PG/PC interface" utility. S7ONLINE has to be set to CP5511(MPI).

If so, there is a "Diagnostics" button in the utility, open it up and use the "Test" button to see if the card works OK, and if it does use the "Read nodes" function. You should be able to see both your PC and the S7 PLC in the list of active stations.

IF I use diagnostics test i get: Error 0x0316: Hardware device already assigned

Hi again JIMCON.

1st try the CP5511 in another PC.

2nd, if the card works in the other PC, then there is something wrong with the first PC.
The CP5511 is a 16-bit PCMCIA card, check that the PC supports 16-bit. Some newer PCs only support 32-bit.
Also, there is a rather comprehensive checklist on Siemens support site. Go search for "CP5511" and you should find it.

Better change this card to CP5512. It's compatibile with new laptop's. I had the similar problem with my Toshiba and CP5511.

I have now managed to get a Simatic PC Adapter fot the MPI.. But but but.. i have no serial port on my laptop :( and ive heard that, If i use an usb to Serial converter it wont work, due to no power supply for the MPI adapter..

If I may give my 2 cents worth.

You can use a RS to USB converter to communicate from laptop to plc. I use a USB to MPI cable from Siemens, but it does not work on all the OP and TP models, due to the power problem u mentioned. I also have a CP5511 and it does not work on the new range of laptops, rule of thumb is if your laptop still came out with a serial port the CP5511 will still work, if not upgrade to a CP5512

JIMCON!
Power supply for Simatic PC adapter is required only from PLC side. You can use it with USB to RS232 converters, it should work without problems.

I wouldnt throw out that CP5511 card just yet.

I have a CP5511 and it works OK on my HP laptop that is 2 years old. The HP laptop PCMCIA slot supports both 16-bit and 32-bit cards. This I checked before I ordered the laptop.

A new CP5512 costs the same as a new laptop !

It is correct that the USB adapter needs 24V from the MPI port on the PLC, and this you dont have on some operator panels.
But then you normally have a PLC present, and you can then connect to the PLC with a connector that has a PG socket so that PLC and OP and USB adapter are online at the same time.
The USB adapter price is half that of the CP5512.
If you work a lot with S7 and/or Profibus, then I recommend the CP5512, it is faster and has diagnostics features that the USB adapter does not.

And then again, if there is ethernet in the equation, then there is no direct need for a CP5512 or a USB adapter.
I know from another thread that JIMCON has a project with ethernet.

Jesper makes a good point, the CP5512 is very expensive, and I agree that if you have Ethernet, that would be the preferred communication to use, but then you need Protool integrated in step 7….or do you need that anyway……I can’t remember.

It would also become a problem on a s7-200 with only one port…..

Hi DDV.

You are right that there is a problem if you have to program a panel that does not have an ethernet port.
I used to use a serial cable for download of the config to the operator panels, but on the newest panels there is no RS232 port.
I happen to use the OP177B which has an ethernet port so I am lucky in this respect.

You dont have to integrate Protool/winCC Flex in STEP7 in order to download via Ethernet if there is Ethernet on the panel.

I guess you were thinking about routing to the panel via the PLC. I have never tried this. I once asked Siemens if this was possible with Prosave, and they replied that it was not possible but they are working on it (for sometime in the future).