s7-300 mpi connection problem

mrt19

Hello all,

I am having trouble connecting to to S7 300, 6ES7 314 1AE04 0AB0, via mpi. I am using a 3rd party serial to mpi pc adaptor cable that is opticaly isolated. I can not seem to connect to the 300, no accessible nodes, diagnositcs, etc. I have tried several different setting in plc-pc interface to no avail. I keep getting errors like adaptor damaged, mpi address out of range, no module, etc.

However, when I hook up the same cable to 2 different S7-400 cpus, 414 I think, I get accesable nodes, online data, everything. I do have original programs for these cpus.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Anyway to test the comms port of the plc. Do I have to clear the old data memory out before I can load new data, if so, how do I do that?

I have no idea what is on the 300 and do not have the original program, it was a cpu that was sitting around that I decided to dust off and pracice and experiment with.

Thanks, mrt19

are you using PC Adaptor "Auto" setting or manual with MPI Address set at 2?

if you are setup manually you could have a clash of MPI Address i.e the cpu doesn't use the default address of 2.

I had a problem with an old 312 years ago which wouldnt work with the auto setting so i had to configure manually.

I had one that had a strange setting.. I hook up a CP5512 and cleared the memory then it worked good with the other cable after that.

You can send it to me and I will try with the CP?? I wonder why they got away from the 2 swtches like the S5's had, then you could wipe everything clean....

Mark

thanks

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

STL??? - I have tried so many different settings I can not remember them all, but I have tried both. How do you configure it manually?

geniusintraining - I beleive I am not clearing the memory correctly. I will try clearing it again tomorrow and see what it does. The only cable I have is the pc adaptor, nothing else.

thanks and will post what I find, mrt19

In Simatic Manager select Options drop down box
Set PG/PC Interface
Select PC Adaptor(MPI)
Click on Properties to set MPI Address,baud rate etc

If thats what your using already try PC Adaptor(Auto)and start network detection.

The CPU listed is the old type with the battery and MC card.
Try to remove both battery and MC card, and then go online with STEP7. Assume the standard MPI address 2 for the CPU.

If that fails, then try do a memory reset.
(not sure, but I thik that maybe the MPI settings is stored in onboard flash rather than battery backed RAM).

1. Turn the key to STOP position
2. Turn the key to MRES position
Hold the key in this position until the STOP LED lights up for the second time
and remains on (this takes 3 seconds).

Then release the key.
3. You must turn the key back to the MRES position, push it in within three
seconds and hold it there until the STOP LED flashes (at 2 Hz).
You can now release the switch. When the CPU has completed memory reset,
the STOP LED stops flashing and remains lit.

The CPU has reset the memory.

If that fails, then the CPU is defective.​

JesperMP - I reset the cpu but did not help, still unable to connect. So you say the cpu is bad?

geniusintraining - yes, it was I who called yesterday. After we spoke I was able to connect to other cpu's and decided the cable was not bad. I may take you up on you offer and will contact if I do.

Thanks...

Well, I got ahold of another plc, a 313, and woola, it connects no problem. So the cpu I have been working with must be defective. JesperMP, I followed the instruction to the letter, got a slow blinking light, then a fast blinking stop light, but it still would not connect. Thanks for the help.

And one more thing, on the good plc with a mpi connection, the connection was really slow. Is this because of the serial connection I am using? How much faster would a usb connection run. Thanks, mrt19

And one more thing, on the good plc with a mpi connection, the connection was really slow. Is this because of the serial connection I am using? How much faster would a usb connection run. Thanks, mrt19

Glad to here you got it working (the cable)... you should be able to change the settings in both a serial or USB to a faster speed, (it must match your PLC) like I told you on the phone, some cables are limited to 19k and some will go up to 115, I sell both and the seller that you bought the cable from also sells both.