Panelbuilder32 translation problem

dclough

I'm hoping this is a simple one. I have a computer running XP SP2, with Panelbuilder 32 (v.3.70). I have a tiny change to make to the screen on a PV600. I have both original PBA file and was able to upload the PVA file. I can modify either and save as a PBA. But when I go to download it, I get a "out of memory" error, then a "translation failure" message. I assume this means it is failing to create the PVA.

If it helps, I also have RSLogix500 and RSView Studio.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
As I recall, the .PVA file is the one that actually goes down to the HMI. You might check to see if that is abnormally large. I assume you're not sending a bunch of screens that are not used. I would maybe try renaming the project and taking a 3rd of the screens out to see if that helps.

well, I tried that, but i don't think its really a memory error. A bare window with one basic button won't even translate to a PVA.

I remember a long time ago that RSView Studio can screw with it. Anyone know this is true?

I have used RSView32 with a PanelView 1000 on the same DH+ network for years without problems. I haven't done that with ME/SE, but I haven't heard of issues.

Does the PV600 have the PCMCIA slot in the back? If so, and you find your self loading PV and PV+ often, I recommend getting a CompactFlash card with the Adapter. I use the Kingston CF/128ADP for transfering back and forth between PVs, PVplus to my laptop. Works good for the PV+ because if someone forgot the "Goto config" button, with the proper files you can boot off the CF card.

No Card slot. It only has the rs232. I did manage to find a computer that has PB32 to create the PVA file. I transfered this back to mine and still was not able to transfer the file (same error messages). I then installed the latrest WinPFT, and it transfered the file. Once. The next time I started the software, the RSView Machine Edition CPR6 installer started (same as when all my other transfer utilities are started for the first time). From here, I have nothing again...

Is Rockwell sabotaging their own softwares?

dclough said:
No Card slot. It only has the rs232. I did manage to find a computer that has PB32 to create the PVA file. I transfered this back to mine and still was not able to transfer the file (same error messages). I then installed the latrest WinPFT, and it transfered the file. Once. The next time I started the software, the RSView Machine Edition CPR6 installer started (same as when all my other transfer utilities are started for the first time). From here, I have nothing again...

Is Rockwell sabotaging their own softwares?

I am as confused as always!!
You keep mentioning RSview ME but also PVA and PBA files which are Panelbuilder files.
Are you trying to modify a Panebuilder application and use Panebuilder to load to the HMI or converting the Panebuilder to an RSviewME application?
"Out of memory" could also be an issue with your current firmware. I'd suggest a firmware upgrade to begin with.
And sheding a bit of light on what you have been trying to accomplish would help also. (Panelbuilder or RSviewME)
If you post the PVA/PBA files I can try converting using RSviewME 4.0 for you if this is the case.
I do have 5.0 installed on one PC but haven't actually used it as most of my apps were to be done using 4.0 as per spec sheet.

I haven't had to address this issue in a long time (on to newer things and all that). I ended up upgrading my Panelbuilder to override what RSView did to the communications.

The issue basically came down to having both softwares on my computer, RSView didn't want to let a Legacy software have rights to the comm port. So to work on the older machine (updating and transferring PVA files to the 600 panel), I had to re-install the "old" software to put the comm drivers back in. But everytime I would start the comms, I'd have the CPR6 installer pop up, and needed to abort it before it re-updates the comm drivers.

This is an old issue, long since handled, so unless someone else has seen this, don't worry about it.

When I upgraded my pc from 2000 to xp & re-loaded all my software I had the same problem with panelbuilder (translation error) unfortunately there seems to be very little diag on pv so as I do not use it for modifications I now use the download util.
To be honest I have not looked into the problem as these are now almost obsolete I'm sure it's something with xp.

Translation failures usually are due to some corrupted object on one of the screens. You might want to copy the application. Validate the application and look at the lower left hand corner you will see it translating each screen one at a time. Pay attention to the screen it stops on. Go to that screen and delete one object at a time then validate again. Keep doing this until it passes validation. The last object you delete will be the corrupt object. Now go to your original app and delete that object and recreate it again then validate. Hopefully it will pass validation this time.

Im running XP and have PB32, PV1400e and FT installed for the PV+ platfrom and have had no problems with communicating to the older series units so far.