Allen Bradley PLC-5 1771-IFE/C Changeout to 1771-IFE/A

Jackall

To All,

I attempted to changeout a 1771-IFE/C card today but had no luck. The original card was setup as a differential current input. So I adjusted the jumpers accordingly on the new card. I then set the card up to emulate the 1771-IFE/C card by moving the jumper to the Position G setting. I then replaced the "C" card with the "A" card and powered the card up. The only thing that lit was the red led. I then tried another "A" card thinking that the other (rebuilt) card may have been bad. This yielded the same result. This was on a remote PLC. Any ideas???

Thanks in Advance,

Ted

Cards are very different see attached for some of differences.

One diff is the jumper on the top of card on the series "A" is for calibration.Also configuration jumpers are diff.

There are differences in block tranfer lenghts also. You need to do some reading
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um665_-en-p.pdf
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um116_-en-p.pdf

Hopefully Ken R. will correct this if I'm wrong

Mickey,

In reviewing the material the only difference that I see between the cards is the BTR and BTW lengths, with the C word lengths being longer. Would this cause the card to not be recognized or to not function? Also publication 1771-6.5.115 - Feruary 1999 points to the same location on the card and refers to it as the Series A/B simulation jumper. Any thoughts???

Its still not functioning.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Jack,
When you say "then set the card up to emulate the 1771-IFE/C card by moving the jumper to the Position G setting". Do you mean that the jumpers on the "A" series card? I don't think an "A" series can emulate a "C" series card. A "C" series card can emulate a "B" or an "A". An "A" can't emulate anyhing except itself. I've configured a few of the "A" series before, without any major headaches. Just luck I guess. The BT wirte needs to be 21 words for differential inputs. The BT read needs to be 12 words long.
BTW
Word 1:0
Word 2:0
Word 3:531
Word 4:0
Word 5:0
Word 6:0
Word 7:4095
Word 8:0
Word 9:4095
Word 10:0
Word 11:4095
Word 12:0
Word 13:4095
Word 14:0
Word 15:4095
Word 16:0
Word 17:4095
Word 18:0
Word 19:4095
Word 20:0
Word 21:4095
Above are HEX values.

Hope this gets it going! You did want differential current 4-20 right? Also what do you mean by "Remote PLC"? One other thing to check is the power supply for this chassis. You need to make sure it is big enough to handle the load.
BD

The two PDF files I posted show the differences with the top jumpers.
The "A" card uses those to put the card in a calibration mode.
I don't have an "A" card and have never used one so I can't test it to see what will happen if in the calibration mode.

here is a jumper loaction picture for Rev.A unit
IFEJUMPERS.JPG

BD