GE Fanuc Series One

juanclos

Hi, I am not familiar at all with PLC programming or their operation but I am an Electronics Engineer so I can pretty much follow what I see in my instrument manual. I have a system that uses the Series One PLC and it is not functioning. When powered up it will not go into Run mode (Run light will not go on). I removed the CPU and installed in another unit that runs something else and this CPU does go into Run mode there. What type of signals can the CPU be expecting to make is go into Run mode when powered up?
I have checked the 110V ac, the 24V dc, and the 5Vdc that goes to the output/input modules and they are there properly. I am suspecting the power suppy for the PLC rack.

Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks

Do you have a hand held programer or dcu so you can put it back in the run mode?

It could have a dead battery and when the power was toggled it lost it's memory.
Lynn

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the power light goes on and when installed on another PLC unit, it goes right into Run mode. That is why I thought there was something to do with the power supply. I don't know how to remove the power supply without trying to break anything.
Just before the system went out, it was toggling between Run mode and not in Run mode..we saw it since it triggers a relay when in run mode and the relay was going crazy.
I can't seem to find the programmer that came with it since it has been here since 1990.

PLCRookie said:
You may not have a program. If there is no program, the processor will not go to run mode.

Yeah, that is what I thought but when I install it on another PLC rack it goes right into Run mode. I thought there might be some interaction with the power supply module and that is where I am now investigating.

Just before the system went out, it was toggling between Run mode and not in Run mode..we saw it since it triggers a relay when in run mode and the relay was going crazy.
Judging by that statement I think it's a power supply issue. The power supply is an integral part of the rack, so you'll have to replace the entire rack.

I think what's happening is that when the PLC is running, it turns on some outputs. Turning on the outputs increases the current draw from the power supply to the point where the backplane voltage drops below the minimum level. When that happens, the PLC stops. When the PLC stops, the outputs go off and the backplane voltage level goes back up above minimum which starts teh PLC running again which turns on the outputs, which drags down the backplane voltage again, etc, etc, etc.....

The good news is that the Series One is the same animal as the Automation Direct DL305. You can still get parts for it from AD.

Well, I am having a hard time getting he power supply off. I can't get past the front bracket, it seems to be screwed into the rack somehow but I looked at the supply board with a flash light and I see some overheated resistors. I am pretty sure it is the suppy. If I can only get it off, I could try another one. Does anyone have a picture from a manual or experience getting this power supply off the rack?

Power supply # IC610CHS13OA Rack w/Hi CAP

Steve Bailey said:
Judging by that statement I think it's a power supply issue. The power supply is an integral part of the rack, so you'll have to replace the entire rack.

I think what's happening is that when the PLC is running, it turns on some outputs. Turning on the outputs increases the current draw from the power supply to the point where the backplane voltage drops below the minimum level. When that happens, the PLC stops. When the PLC stops, the outputs go off and the backplane voltage level goes back up above minimum which starts teh PLC running again which turns on the outputs, which drags down the backplane voltage again, etc, etc, etc.....

The good news is that the Series One is the same animal as the Automation Direct DL305. You can still get parts for it from AD.

Hey Steve.

I just read your answer. I am sure it is the supply since there seem to be some burned resistor. There is no way to remove just the supply board Huh? You mentioned AD..is this Analog Devices?
I could just get the rack from them?

Downloading Program

Hey guys, with all of your help my series one is working. It was the power supply. Now, how can I download the program and save it for future needs? I found a programmer that we had but it is for a Series 90-30. I would like to download the program to a computer and I happen to have one that runs on DOS if necessary.

Thanks