OT: Connectors different voltages

Werner

Hi there!

Just want to know how do you guys handle the problem below:

1 frequency controlled motor must be equipped with an connector. But there is also a thermal contact inside the motor that needs to be connector to the plc. Also I want to know if the connector is plugged in. (To bypass thermal contact alarm when disconnected)

Different solutions:

2 connectors, 2 cables: 1 for the motor, 1 for 24vdc signals
1 connector, 2 cables: using special glads or connectors with two cable inputs/outputs.
1 connector, 1 cable (different voltages in one cable, is this allowed in Europe? with UL regulations it is forbidden.)

I would like a solution with only 1 connector. If you can suggest a manufacturer or solution please do so.

How big of a motor are we talking about? 1/10,1, 100 HP?

I always have separate cables for motors and controls, life's too short to mix voltages and possible cause problems. Of course, I seldom have anything less than 5 HP so the amps are fairly significant.

To see if the connector is plugged in, use two pins on the jack to read a contact closure and on the plug, jumper these two pins together. You can extend this logic if you have more than one type of plug by having extra pins creating different contact closure to signal different cord sets are being used.