OT: New transformer regulations?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
My distributor called me and asked if I had any upcoming transformer needs. He said that there are new regulation regarding transformer efficiency that will take effect Jan 1 which will significantly increase, in some cases, nearly double, the price of transformers. If its already in stock it'll be the same, but if its not, it will cost a lot more.

Anyone know anything about this? Its the first I've heard.

This is the only thing I have seen

oee.nrcan.gc.ca/regulations/communique-dry-type-trans.cfm?text=N&printview=N - 17k -

I was on the phone earlier this morning with Sola/Hevi-duty. They mentioned some new energy star ratings that go into effect on Jan. 1 which have pushed 4 week deliveries into the 6 week range. Prices were not discussed.

We are a Sola/Hevi-Duty distributor, and have gotten information regarding this. There is information about the Energy Star regulations on their website.

I've checked through the cross-reference and the new pricing we've received, and a majority of the transformers have increased in price. The average increase is about 45%, but there are a few that have doubled or more. There are also a few that have decreased in price or stayed the same.

If you buy a lot of transformers, find out if yours are affected!