HD15 90deg. male connector.

elevmike

This is the story: We need to put some DL06s in a tight spot. I'm looking for a 90 deg. male cable conneter kit. The adapter offered by AD will not work due to the fact that the adapther & connector combined wont fit into the space provided under the PLC. I looked through the AMP catalog and a few other places but cant seem to find something to fit the bill. If anybody knows of a connector like this please let me know.

Thanks, Mike.

This may not sound too professional but if you get in a bind you can always take a 15 pin connector (no hood)(about $2 at Radio Shack) and wire it then place heat shrink on it. This could be directly wired OR taken to a spot where you can mount a connetor for use with networking or programming cable(s).

I take it the existing 90 degree models protrude to far "out" from the plc not allowing a door to close or something similar.

May not sound good but works great, just wire the connector using small heat shrink on the individual wire then larger heat shrink to act as a hood. This allows you to shape the path the wires take.

In the meantime maybe I can locate my link for the low profle unit that you are asking about.

Last edited:
Tark,

Very close, but the side cable exit gets in the way of either Port 1, or the Run switch. I was hoping for find one with a bottom exit.

Ron, You are correct. The extended connector hood will hit the lip on the enclosure.

I have run into this situation before, most 90 deg adapters align with the connector i.e. in this case most off the shelf connections would block connecting to another port OR protrude too far.

I did not think about it long, just took a D-sub and made what I needed; which in this case is a horizontally aligned connector where you need it 90 degrees vertical.

I know now that they are out there but been a few years since had to obtain one.

Ron,

We will likely take your suggestion and just use shrink tubing. I spent about 2 hours looking around and calling all to no avail.

Thanks, Mike.

Can you use a ribbon cable connector? I'm not sure if they make them for the HD connector but I have used them on DB25 for the same problem.

I don't know if they make a HD15 connector for ribbon cable but I do know they make twisted pair ribbon with overall shield. They have flat spots every 6" so you can make up the connectors. Can you use a short cable 6-12" then connect to your regular connector?

Do you think you would have com problems even if the last part of the cable was not shielded or twisted?

If you can live without the back shell you could get some of the DB connectors that have the push in pins. Maybe even use some pot epoxy to seal it up good.

Sorry im not much help.

RS232 is +/- 12 volts referenced at ground. RS422/485 doesn't have a ground reference. It swaps polarity between the 2 leads. This gives it high noise immunity. Don't worry about a short run of ribbon (1 or 2 inches).
You can build with 2 connectors ribboned together. Mount at 90 degrees, as close as possible to each other. You should be able to secure these to each other with 90 degree brackets, making one solid adapter.
If you can't do this, look for 2 PCB mount connectors that you can solder the pins together. On a HD15, the middle row will be challenge.

If that won't work, then Charles idea with the installable pins is best. HD15 has smaller pins than the standard D'Sub connectors - make sure you buy matching pins with the connector.