460v motors on 400v supply line

katratzi

I will be in Europe , starting up a machine. The motors we supplied are

460vac, 60 hz, and the voltage there is 400vac 50 hz. Does this present a problem regarding the current draw and/or overload settings of the motor starters? For example if the motors were sized "just big enough hp/kw to do their task", won't they draw more current since the last 60 volts just are not available? One motor is connected to a hydraulic pump, another will run a water pump, and the last will power a fan. Fan and pump loads are variable, not constant load, but it is my opinion that they will not be able to perform to their maximum power output ratings because of the difference in voltage and frequency supply. Is this statement accurate?

Motor Voltage

Correct me if I am wrong, but it has been my experience that a motor trying to draw full current but can't will burn windings. I would try a european VFD to take the 400 or what you have in and control the frequency out to the motors you have.

Good luck.
Ken

The motors will be ok because the pumps and fans will be running 17% slower on 50hz.

The process might not be ok tho because the output of the pumps and fans will also be 17% less.

Motors operate on a volts/hz ratio principal and 460/60 and 400/50 is essentially the same ratio. Since the speed is reduced 17%, the available hp from the motor will also be reduced 17%. But, the pumps and fans, being variable torque loads, will unload by the cube of .83 (100%-17%) which calculates to .57 or 57%. So, the motors will actually be fairly lightly loaded at that reduced speed and I wouldn't expect any motor problems.

you should have no problems with such routine applications, most motors are capable of running ok +-25% of rated voltage. We use some american motors on site and they seldom fail, Baldon electric they are.
Pumps and fans running at 17% less as well will not effect the output of the pump or fan by 17%, you will hardly notice the difference, regarding using a vfd, if you don't need one don't bother is my response, perhaps more important would be some supply filters.

Good luck, where abouts in the uk are you gonna be?

Your motors will be fine as commented above, but will the process they are part of suffer? You better check the pump and fan curves at 50Hz to see what affect they will have.

You know its funny. I figured the hydraulic pump would be one to give the most problem, since it is supposed to build pressure under load to hold a side press ram, but the last time a machine
almost identical to this was installed it was the fan motor that gave the trouble. It was rated for 3.1 amps at 460volt, ran fine at our facility, when connected to the 400volt 50hz supply its current went up to 4.6 amps and kept tripping the overload. It was ohmmed out, passed that test, connections everywhere were checked, but no matter what it pulled 4.6 amps. Finally connected a 400 volt motor to the same wires, it pulled only rated current.
We will have to send that motor back for questioning, I guess.

I am not sure about this, but I think the so called 400V in Europe is actualy 380VAC at Xfmer end and will drop a little at motor end. You might have only 350-360VAC on the motor.