RSView ME

bobwithdana said:
Configure rslinx enterprise properly to point to the processor that has the tags you want to view.

Yeah..but...I don't think that you can do that with a micrologix, only SLC's & Controlgixs'....

But I may be wrong..

You do exactly that with any target in RSLinx Enterprise. Point your topic to the physical device.

ianingram said:
Yeah..but...I don't think that you can do that with a micrologix, only SLC's & Controlgixs'....

But I may be wrong..

Are you targetting the same device for the "Local" tab and the "Target" tab? (in Studio).

Is the processor online? Attached to the network? Have a program in it? (though default data tabels will show up even without a program in a micrologix/SLC/PLC5)

Have you pointed to an offline file in your local communications setup?

Yes, the target and local devices are the same.
Yes the Micrologix is online and attached to a network and it has a program in it.

I think that it is because I'm using a demo version of RSView ME, but it is suppose to allow me to create 5 displays.
So far I have made only one display with 3 tags to make the test

And how are the tags defined?
In the browser, try right-clicking, selecting 'Show Server Names', and then right clicking and 'Refresh All Folders'.

Create a tag called "Test" pointing to "::[MicrologixTopicName]B3:0/0"

Put that on a display, and test animate it. Can you see it change states if you toggle it in the PLC?

Uhhh... in the View Studio Tag Browser, although you can just type it in manually.

There is no indication of read or write direction when defining a tag. It is just a connection to a location in the target device (or memory).

The format for View Studio requires "::" to precede any connection that contains a colon :)) character in it, as do all data table accesses to a Micrologix, SLC, or PLC (Purist's may note that you don't need a colon if you use bit access as in "B3/121").

The proper format for any reference to a physical device, either when defining tags in the HMI Tag Database or using Direct References is:
{::[TOPIC_NAME_DEFINED_IN_LINX_ENTERPRISE]LOCATION_IN_DEVICE}
The opening and closing braces {} are sometimes absolutely required, and sometimes optional. Save the hassle, and always use them.

The "::" was discussed above, your data files are organized as FILE_TYPE FILE_NUMBER : WORD/BIT (as in, N7:3/0) so they have a colon, and need this token.

The square brackets must enclose the topic name of defined in your OPC server (RSLinx Enterprise usually for ME) []

The topic name inside the brackets should be exactly the topic name you used to set up a communications link in RSLinx Enterprise.

Then, the "LOCATION_IN_DEVICE" is wherever the actual data is in the target device. B3:0/1, N28:151, T4:3.ACC, etc.

Ok perfect!, but I did not put any name to the device, because it was shown automatically, how do I specify a name to the micrologix, do I have to create a shorcut in the communication settings?

Yes, you need to create a shortcut in the RSLinx Enterprise dialogs. The actual name assigned to the PLC doesn't matter at all, just the shortcut name in RSLinx Enterprise. Add one, highlight it, navigate to your target device, and hit apply. (Both for local and target tabs)

rdrast said:
You do exactly that with any target in RSLinx Enterprise. Point your topic to the physical device.

Yes, I have had a shocker

What I meant to say was something along the lines that with a SLC you can browse the data files & pick your addresses...

This cannot be done with a micrologix 1100..