PLC5 ch. 3 fault

tomalbright

I have three PLC-5/80C's I take care of. These all have the ethernet module installed as well.

I have had two processors fault this week on main power loss. These are all supplied by a humongous 24V battery bank, so the PLCs don't lose power themselves. For some reason, they fault on a "ch 3. dev. fault". This is the ethernet channel. The two that have faulted have an AC powered ethernet switch (on UPS, but replacing soon with 24V) so there is a possibility that it lost power. But how does an ethernet problem cause a processor fault?

Had another one fault today.

I don't know if the PLC is faulting first or the power going out.

Besides the channel 3A error, there is a "95 - Coprocessor reported fault"

Other than finding this listed as a fault, I have no idea what it means.

screen shot

I did some research last night, and it seems all my problems stem from the 1785-ENET, ethernet sidecar. I can't find the "why" yet, but there is definitely an issue with this module. Here's the screen shot of the error(s):

fault.jpg

I think I'm going to have to modify the fault routine to handle this. I am usually loathe to use fault routines, because, well, there's a FAULT, and I would rather fix that than keep covering it up. I'm thinking timer/counter to let it fault if so many faults in x amount of time. Not sure how a timer will run with faults... Ah! I'll use the system clock. Maybe. :sick:

1785-ENET Fault 62

Bump this one...

I'm also having the same problem with a PLC 5/80 with ethernet side card. Processor and side card both fault out:

S2 error: Coprocessor reported fault
Fault code flashing on 1785-enet status LED: 62
the manual says 62 = Lump Internal Inconsistancy

I can't find much on AB's tech notes on the enet faults. Anyone have any idea's? Help!

btw: a fault routine isn't going to help because in order to clear the fault in the enet, a power cycle is required...

Thanks,
Steve

my comm problem has resurfaced. (see my other thread). I forced the switch communication, but things still aren't working right. I have N-Tron looking at the problem.

The fault happened again yesterday, ironically as a tech was moving the ethernet wiring back to the old switch for testing.

I thought this thread looked familiar. I hope it's three years until the next time. I have a Controllogix that faulted on me last year, caused all sorts of panic, but it's never happened again, still using the same hardware.

I'm thinking the switch caused the problem with that one, oh Scott-who-took-my job. Never could prove it, though. ;)

Found a new PLC5 with 10/100 enet sidecar. Should boost the network speed too. It happened again shortly after the last post when I was closing the cabinet door. The first time it happened when I hit the volume up button on the remote control for the T.V. Its amazing the kinda **** they an blame on you out here. :)
If it drops out again I'll swap em out.
I'm thinking maybe switch also. Lost comm to Gen2 as well.

I don't know about that fault. I have had some funny issues with Sidecards. We had one card that would loos a connection to a Camera. The Camera would respond to commands and request from other plcs but not this one. We cycled power to the PLC that was not talking and the system would run for months without problems.

Another system was a new Processor and an existing sidecard the Processor firmware was OOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD it wouldn't respond to alot of the MSG what the guy before me had going on. A quick firmware flash and the system was up and running again.

That was a job or 2 ago.

The ethernet sidecar and the PLC need an upgrade, I think. There are some undocumented AB "features" with the sidecar. Problem is, getting the PLC and ethernet up to the right revision, on a running system. It's hard to find that info, but here's the three manuals I found for the module, lots of revision changes in the first one (NOT found on AB's site).

http://www.borrowman.ca/pdf/EnhanPLC5_Release_Notes.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1785-in019_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um019_-en-p.pdf

If it works, leave it alone. Sad but true. The alternatives are expensive.

"95
Module reported fault, in which a bad program causes memory corrupt, or, of a hardware failure"

Nice error message. Thanks for the manuals Tom.
I'm kinda hoping it happens again so I can install the new cards. Also I'll know to check the blinking lights for the error code.